“Rude staff” 2 of 5 stars
Review of The Heights

The Heights
Ranked #10,825 of 20,709 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
London
“Rude staff”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

My wife and I recently visited The Heights restaurant while we were out in London doing an evening shop. She had another meeting to go to, but we thought it would be a pleasant spot to stop. The views were fantastic.

She was in the loo when I grabbed a table and began by ordering a cappuccino. While I waited for my order the server asked me what I had ordered. I thought one cappuccino was simple enough of an order.

By the time my wife came to sit at the table I was served my cappuccino and the server (a different one from the first) asked my wife what she wanted. She said she did not want anything and the server jumped in by stating, 'You have to order something if you are sitting here.' I guess this did not include my cappuccino and was done on a per person basis. She explained she was leaving shortly (which was true) and the server looked at his watch before moving off.

I could not believe how rude he was! The place was not entirely busy for a weekday night and there were plenty of free tables available.

My wife left and I drank my cappuccino as I reviewed work emails on my phone. Within a few minutes a server dropped the receipt for my cappuccino on the table without enquiring whether there was anything else I wanted. I guess it was assumed that if you order a coffee you must not want a dinner. I could not believe how poor of an experience this was making. Surely a good restaurant would welcome service from respectable customers.

So instead of ordering any food as I was disenchanted with being prompted to hurry and finish, I checked the bill and read £3.50 for the cappuccino and an optional £0.44 service charge! Really? A service charge for a forgotten order, rude behaviour to my wife and the desire to see me quickly exit once my drink was finished. I was not impressed!

I quickly left £3.50 in change and left.

I felt this was such a shame as I had heard and read positive reports about this place. Customer service should be paramount in its importance. Customers should feel welcomed, not pressured to leave.

Bitterly disappointed! I was sure to tell my friends and work colleagues to avoid The Heights in future.

• Visited November 2012
2 Thank travellingBill2011

Croydon, United Kingdom
“average views, staff and food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

The view wasn't great before dark, quite industrial looking (no way as good as Vertigo 42 but a lot cheaper!) but once the sun set it was rather nice, with the lights. restaurant decor needed updating and so did the staff's English and service skills. They were nice enough but when we arrived early and asked to sit by the bar for a pre-dinner drink they presumed we just wanted bar food or tapas and changed our booking. It wasn't a problem though as the restaurant was empty. We opted for the two course set menu at £19.95, including a drink and it was good valur for money. I had the scallops followed by Red Snapper, both of which were lovely (fish a little dry though). However, my friends had the other two options for starters and main and they were not so happy, they were nice but nothing special. not much thought or flavour had gone into the veggie options. We were left alone but bordering on be non-attentive, waitress not pouring our wine etc but they did ask that each course was OK.
It was nice if you are in the area and probably just for a drink but I wouldn't rush back.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Stavanger, Norway
“Excellent views of London!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Special although not so known place to have a drink with friends or even a meal. Have never tried full dinner here, but drinks and snacks work well too!

Visited September 2011
1 Thank Swaerholm
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Fab view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

Great views, nice light atmosphere. Food is good and service is friendly (not always fast though).

Visited July 2011
1 Thank Antonia G
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Heights with a view.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2012

Menu very limited but view makes it worthwhile! Ideal for after work drinks or after shopping in Oxford Street .

• 5 of 5 stars