“Tasty well combined exotic dishes”
Review of Archipelago

Archipelago
Ranked #765 of 24,255 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International, Fusion
Good for: Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Fitzrovia
Description: If Archipelago were a film it would definitely be one of the Indiana Jones series. First, the menu features all manner of exotic beasties - locusts, zebra, crocodile and second the decor is an exotic mix of golden buddhas, dwarf palms and giant peacock feathers. The staff will talk you through each dish, but there's also chicken, fish, lamb and extensive vegetarian options. It's a great night out for the more adventurous - or if you happen to be having Ray Mears to stay.
Reviewed May 13, 2013

Amazing,would definitely go there again.Great food,small romantic atmosphere.Took my husband there for his birthday last year and he still raves about the food. Looking forward to our next trip. Not cheap,but not overly expensive.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I was at this restaurant yesterday with my fiancé. I was a little sceptical about it all at first, and had very average expectations.

To start with, we were greeted very warmly by the staff, who gave us the choice to sit where we liked.
We were then left to explore the delicious sounding menu.
I had a hard time choosing what to get, because it all sounded exciting and tasty.
In the end, I ordered the crocodile to start, and the alpaca for the main, and my fiancé had the unagi and then the kangaroo.
I loved every inch of all four meals. The portions were perfect in size and presentation looked fantastic. Out of the starters, I preferred the unagi, which was divine. My fiancé preferred the crocodile.
The mains, as well as cabbage and other greens that came on the side, were both equally yummy.
We had also ordered the Bug salad, which, although very tasty, I found a little small and not as exciting as the rest of the meal. Although I would recommend it for the excitement of eating crickets! (I think they would have been better on a white plate, ie more visible than mixed into a dark green salad).
My dessert was the Chocoholic Fix, which was incredible -I was not expecting something so delicious, and was truly blown away.
The "Doctor" shot my fiancé had for dessert was also amazing, but I won't give away too much, you must see for yourselves!

We also experienced fantastic customer service.
To be honest, we were a bit fussy with the wine -the first bottle we ordered, we found out they had ran out of stock, so we ordered another. It was opened, and after taking a few sips, we looked at each other and both agreed the wine was not nice at all, and would not go with our meals. We didn't want to be fussy, but as we are wine lovers, we didn't really want an unpleasant wine to ruin such a special meal, so we called the waiter over and told him we didn't like it. He was very friendly about it, took it away without any problems, and helped us chose another bottle. He let us taste the new bottle first, after having opened it especially for us, just for us to see if we will like it, which we did.
Instead of then treating us like annoying customers (which we kind of were...!), the waiters kept being patient and helpful throughout the whole evening, checking up on us, explaining the dishes to us, and serving us with politeness and a smile each time. wonderful!
On top of all of this, they somehow felt it might be their fault we didn't take a liking to the first bottle of wine, and offered us my fiancé's dessert, and my digestif, on the house!!

All in all, fantastic experience, and would definitely return when they open their new restaurant.

The decor was also fabulous and intimate.

My one and only real complaint is that both the alpaca and the kangaroo were too salty -I am quite particular about salt, and felt it overpowered the dishes a little. It seemed unnecessary, since the meat itself was flavourful and strong. I still loved every mouthful!!

Definitely recommended!

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

I've always been bored with the usual four meats of choice on a Sunday. Hearing about this place was like music to the ears. The decor is wildly exotic and the service very friendly. The menu is varied in a way that westerners are just not used to. The lunch tasting platter had crocodile in vine leaves (with dip), diced kangaroo, and strands of alpaca meat, all beautifully cooked. This was 15ukp per head (min 2 persons). Lovebugs added to the green salad ie locusts and grasshoppers was an extra 3ukp each. The platter came with noodles, coconut rice and baklava. For pud we had a very chocolaty collation.
It was a very fun experience. The chef is very talented and the service very friendly.
Recommend.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I had frogs legs and my dining companion had the bison. Both were very tasty. The decor is fabulous and the staff were warm and friendly. I recommend the Colombian dessert. It isn't cheap but it is certainly an experience. A good place for a date!

Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

Started with crocodile, it was ok, but the alpaca meat is the best I have ever tasted. Archielago signature coctail also very nice. Must place to eat.