“Reasonable but not as good as it could be”

Bavarian Beerhouse Old Street
Ranked #8,851 of 23,707 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: German
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Shoreditch
Description: Bavarian Beerhouse (est. 2004) is the UK’s only German Restaurant & Bar chain, offering an authentic German experience with a variety of freshly tapped ice cold beers served in huge Stein glasses, accompanied by hearty Bavarian food in its two London locations ‘Bavarian Beerhouse Old Street’ and ‘Bavarian Beerhouse Tower Hill’. With its native German speaking waitresses and directly from Germany imported food & beer, it remains the UK’s only original German restaurant chain. Locals, city workers & tourists alike enjoy the atmosphere and table service provided by charming waitresses in traditional Bavarian 'Dirndl' dresses. Additionally, in 2004 Bavarian Beerhouse brought the world's biggest beer festival "Oktoberfest" to London for the first time. Since then it has firmly established itself as the UK's Number One Oktoberfest Specialist, serving thousands of beer-loving customers and even the British Army. In addition to its restaurants, Bavarian Beerhouse Ltd. runs a fully equipped catering service, bringing “Oktoberfest” to business parks, corporate events and private functions all over England, Scotland and Wales.
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Arranged to meet a large group of Chelsea-supporting mates here to rekindle celebrations from Munich in May...thus an appropriate venue! Convenient and easy-to-find location rear of Fenchurch Street Station (9 Crutched Friars, junction with City Road), but had to make sure nobody went to their other branch by mistake, which is over in Shoreditch (Old Street). Decor was rather sparse and bland I thought, seats not very comfy but hey, it's more about the German beer & the company. As regards the former, there was a range of about 7 different typical styles on draft (Sadly though the Fischers Helles was not on). None of the beers were particularly unusual or outstanding for the connoiseur (!), but perfectly good - although min. £4.80/pint. You could have a slightly discounted 3 different pint selection, but these were bought up in random order so it was not easy for the uninitiated and the swiftly inebriated to work out which was which! They also do two different types of Shandy for the lightweights. We ordered the basic cold snack platters and a few sausages, none of which was anything to write home about, but it all got guzzled down with the beer. Table service was nondescript / slow-ish, although friendly enough, but the only big blonde on show was the Hermann behind the bar (so don't go expecting the nice ladies on the website!) We did all enjoy the evening here (I even tipped the beggar handing out paper towels in the Mens Room), but to be honest I reckon the Oktoberfest bar in Fulham High Road does better German food and beer.

BavarianBeerhouse, Public Relations Manager at Bavarian Beerhouse Old Street, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2012

Dear Walterwoodham,
We really appreciate that you took the time to provide us with your feedback. It means a lot!

We always aim to provide a high standard on food, drinks as well as service and we are sorry that our German beer experience wasn't presented/explained well enough. That's not the case usually.

We apologize again and appreciate your honesty - only with the help of our customers we can improve our service.

We hope to welcome you again soon at the Bavarian Beerhouse.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Went there with 20 mates and stayed there all night, had the pork knuckle which was very good. it gets very noise as more you drink, good place for a lads night out.

I would not take the wife here for a romantic meal

3  Thank ROSSB1
BavarianBeerhouse, Public Relations Manager at Bavarian Beerhouse Old Street, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2012

Dear ROSSB1
Thank you very much for paying us a visit and your positive feedback.

We are glad that you had such a positive experience and I hope your stay at the Bavarian Beerhouse will remain memorable.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed August 21, 2012

It's sad when the fantasy doesn't match the reality.

For years I had ridden a bus by the Bavarian Beerhouse on my way to work, fantasizing about clanging beer steins set to the soundtrack of frenzied oompah music. I always thought about this place and how much I would like to try it.

Sadly, sadly, the fantasy has been ruined...

Terrible food (how can you make a pretzel bad? I dunno but try this place)... How can you actually call this a Bavarian Beerhouse? It reminds me of what a McDonald's would look like in Hamburg.

I had something called Obazda, which sounds Turkish, but is actually a dollop of full fat cream cheese hosed with something that looked like what came out of an oompah loompahs backside after a spicy Mexican fiesta. It tasted just as bad.

My girlfriend had some anemic looking sausages with some mash and saukraut. I must admit the mash was okay but the rest...

Anyway, stay away -- despite it's tractor beam like pull with the promise of Germanic revelry, you will be sadly disappointed.

2  Thank Sean C

Dear Sean C
Many thanks for your review provided.

We are sorry that your stay was not satisfying - we always aim to provide a high standard on food, drinks as well as service. It is a shame that you did not like much about our 'Obatzda' - a Bavarian cheese delicacy- which is very popular by most our customers. We do sell a certain product that is mainly targeted at groups of people that want to have a fun night out and as a matter of fact the Bavarian Beerhouse is not about ‘fine dining’ and ‘gourmet dishes’.

We hope you are willing to give us a second chance and will return to one of our Beerhouses quite soon.

Reviewed August 6, 2012

Had a work function here.. (usually suck!) When I walked in, I heard and saw a the usuals for a "Bavarian Beer house" , but had to stick it out because of the function. Had a few litres of the local, and started to change my tune. The beer was cold, and served quick. The food was German and good! Loved the BRretzles and kraut as well.. Not a bad place if your craving some decent german food! I would return! (if i had the time)

Dear BInEvryWear
We really appreciate that you took the time to provide us with your feedback.

We are also glad that you had such an enjoyable stay at the Bavarian Beerhouse and enjoyed your work function at our premises.

Thank you very much once more for paying us a visit and your positive feedback.

We hope to welcome you again soon.

Reviewed July 13, 2012

The Bavarian Beerhouse in Tower Hill is a great place. Just up the road from the tube the staff are friendly and welcoming and they have a good selection of beers to tempt pretty much anyone.

But beware the service charge.

As they do not have a bar service all the beer is brought by wenches, for want of a better word, in the appropriate Bavarian garb which is good. However when our table of 10 received our round of steins there was a £6 service charge which if you are buying round after round of drinkns can get expensive. I’m not sure what our organiser said in order to get the service charge revoked, something along the lines of “I’m not paying any service charge for a £50 round of drinks” or words to that effect as I don’t recall him arm wrestling a chap called Olaf or fighting a bear as he said the next day.

Food wise the platter of assorted meats was nice and there was plenty of it. I had the currywurst and it was pretty tasty washed down with lashings of wheatbeer. In all fairness I would say the food was better in Hamburg but we had come to drink rather than gorge ourselves on meat on this occasion.

Overall I’d give it a thumbs up, but watch out for the service charge.

Dear Mark D

Thank you for emphasising that our staff is friendly and welcoming, it is very important to us as we always try to aim a very high standard of service.

Due to our terms and conditions a discretionary service charge of 12.5% will be added to the bill. This is purely optional and there is no obligation to pay.

We are also glad that you enjoyed our authentic German food as well as beers.

Thank you very much once more for paying us a visit and your feedback. We hope to welcome you again soon!