“South Indian treat” 4 of 5 bubbles

Sagar Vegetarian Hammersmith Restaurant
Ranked #2,478 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Healthy
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget, Kids, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Hammersmith / Fulham
Description: We Sagar chain of Restaurants in London for the past Ten years.Our chefs are from Udupi, a small town in the coastal region of the Western Ghats, about 360km from Bangalore in karnataka. At a famous temple there is an idol of Lord Krishna richly adorned in jewels. The town is a knowledged centre for authentic South Indian Cuisine. Udupi chefs are renowned for the cooking of the traditional South Indian Vegetarian food. Sagar is a Restaurant that is recognised as a breaking new ground in the presentation of South Indian Vegetarian dishes, including some which are new to this country. Also we are specialised in cooking (gluten)wheat free, nut free, vegan, no onion no garlic
London
“South Indian treat”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

I have eaten at the Charlotte street one before and, when I was in Hammersmith the other day, dropped in for a quick lunch.

I had the Lunch special which is very good value for money consisting of Papadums and relish as a starter, mixed dishes on a thali as main and a dessert as well - all for £5.95. I am used to South Indian food being lighter that the food elsewhere in India and really enjoyed it. The service was friendly and fast, the sweet Lassi excellent.

My only disappointment was the fact that the Dosa that came with the meal was not crisp and had become limp and doughy.

All in all a great quick, tasty meal.

• 4 of 5 bubbles

“Totally reliable, wonderful tasty food, friendly service. Go There!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

This has been a regular place for me since it opened. I have, previously reviewed it on TA.
I was moved to write another review after visiting yesterday for a swift lunch. The staff here are without fail friendly, courteous, accommodating. I am very familiar with South Indian vegetarian cuisine, having discovered it here in London at Diwana at Euston, which remains a purveyor of wonderful food, but in the most uncomfortable environment possible. Sagar however produces comparable food in a simple very pleasant space.
My lunch yesterday was just perfect, and the bill was tiny, 'the best value lunch in London,' I joked with the manager, but it truly is. The lunch special, if you have limited time and do not want to completely stuff yourself is pure heaven. You get three or four small dishes which are a representative of the menu and do change, plus a medium Dosa, poppadams , pickles and sweet , all for under 6 quid, not bad eh! (I imagine the price must go up a little, sometime)

London, United Kingdom
“Not the authentic South Indian food”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Have been to this place thrice and each visit turned out to be bad than the previous. Ordered a sagar spl and rasam along with spring dosa

Spring dosa tasted just ok with loadssss of oil dripping
Sagar spl was nothing but a curry filled in dosa with loaddssss of oil and eventually left 3/4th of it. When the waiter came to clear the plate he asked us - was it spicy? We told him it just doesn't taste right to which he took the plate away without even apologising and same was the case with the manager who was taking our order. Serious customer experience issue. I am sure I will try not to come back again and will nev recommend this restaurant to anyone

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank DivyaVashist
Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Excellent Food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

We ate at Sagar our first night in the Hammersmith area - delicious vegetarian fare and wonderful service. We were so impressed we went back for lunch the next day, ordering the box lunches, which were a great value and once again, absolutely delicious!

Visited September 2013
New York City, New York
“simple but special”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

whenever we go back to London, we always try to eat here. It's nothing fancy, just simple South Indian vegetarian food. The idlis and dosas are just like we had in India and you won't leave hungry. The service has always been friendly and I like the light wooden decor. It's plain, just like the food, but somehow that simplicity is part of what makes this place special.

• Visited September 2013