“Lunch with friends”

Ranked #2,735 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Indian, Healthy
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Hammersmith / Fulham
Description: We Sagar chain of Restaurants in London for the past Ten years.Our chefs are from Udupi, a small town in the coastal region of the Western Ghats, about 360km from Bangalore in karnataka. At a famous temple there is an idol of Lord Krishna richly adorned in jewels. The town is a knowledged centre for authentic South Indian Cuisine. Udupi chefs are renowned for the cooking of the traditional South Indian Vegetarian food. Sagar is a Restaurant that is recognised as a breaking new ground in the presentation of South Indian Vegetarian dishes, including some which are new to this country. Also we are specialised in cooking vegan, onion and garlic free food.
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I am not very fond of hot spicy food so was a little wary. However, my friend recommended the lunchtime special and it was very tasty.
The service was friendly and attentive and there was no problem when we asked to change the wine.

1  Thank Valerie025

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We had lunch there with my wife. We both ordered a lentils soup, and the special lunch platter that comes with a selection of food, basmati rice, and bread that looks like a rolled-up French pancake.
It was a little spicy, but not overly so, and very tasteful. It all felt very fresh. Some of the dishes were just good, but most of it was delicious.
Overall, it was a very nice experience. We regreted not being able to eat there on the following days.
Service was fast, price quite reasonable. Would totally recommend.

1  Thank Mathieu_11
Reviewed May 21, 2013

We went to Sagar for pre-theatre dinner (Riverside Studios).

Good points: quick service (we only had 30 min), clean, neat restaurant, nice ambient music, food pleasant for Western taste (not too hot). Good okra and Mango Lassi.

Bad point: the South Indian among us was disappointed with the Masala Dosa, which was made with very big chunks of unflavoured potato. They were a bit late with one of the parathas - I think they forgot about it until we reminded them.

Overall, I would go back with my Western friends, but probably not with the South Indian.

1  Thank 0rangeBlossom
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Sagar does seem very popular so I thought I would try it. Have been there twice now and both times the food was well below average. As an Indian and one that is very familiar with South Indian cuisine I believe that I know what the food should taste like and the food at Sagar does not taste like anything I have come across. The filling for the Masala Dosa a well known speciality was tasteless and oily. The vegetables most of which are North Indian in origin were bland and tasteless. Our food was served within 5 minutes when the restaurant was busy a worrying sign that tells me that it was all pre-prepared. I so wanted it to be good and sadly it wasn't.

1  Thank Raj T
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Food is really very fresh and tasty. Well above average. Very good service in plain simple environment.