“What a delightful birthday surprise!”

Blades Barbecue Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Blades Barbecue Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #7,475 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I took my son and my niece to Blades for lunch to celebrate my 72nd birthday. It was our first visit there. We were immediately made very welcome by the proprietor. I had a green salad with artichokes, sundried tomatoes and parmesan shavings in a very piquant dressing and then calf's liver and bacon served with a generous dish of assorted al dente vegetables. My niece had chicken breast with a mushroom and cream sauce served with chips and my son went for the soup of the day, followed by mushroom risotto. The food was served with fresh crusty bread and butter. We all agreed that our meals were very tasty and well cooked and the portions were generous. After eating, I had an excellent filter coffee. Imagine my surprise when the owner and the cook then appeared bearing a chocolate cake with lighted candles and sang happy birthday to me! They must have heard the young ones wishing me happy birthday at the start of the meal, when we were raising our glasses to each other. I though this was a very kind gesture on the part of the restaurant.
We were too full by then to eat cake but they very kindly parcelled some up for us to take home. All in all a very pleasant dining experience and I can't wait to go there again.

Reviewed December 20, 2013

I booked a table here on a Sunday night for 7 people, not knowing anything about the place, but because they do an offer for the Gourmet Society Card.
From the outside it doesn't look anything special, but from the moment we went in we had a superb time. The owner/waiter was friendly and fun, it has a warm cosy atmosphere, it's the opposite of a chain run restaurant, so has character!
Don't expect a purpose built shiny premises, but expect memorbilai on the walls, wooden chairs, candles, (and tiny toilets!)
I can't understand some of the negative reviews, if you're wanting a posh 5 star sushi bar, then you'd clearly be at the wrong place here. It's like a cafe from the outside, but we love places with character, and this was perfect!
Half the menu is on the specials chalk board according to what they have fresh. The menu is very varied, from steak to pasta to fresh fish to salads.
A little expensive perhaps if you're not a member of a discount club, main courses between £12-£18 but the quality was grand.
For me, definitely worth going. The waiter knew most of the customers by name which is a very good sign!

1  Thank andrew e
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Fantastic, lovely resteraunt.
Coming for years, and enjoying the family welcome everytime.
Excellent food and service, has a very heart warming atmosphere, with great staff and people around.

1  Thank Bkidsameen
Reviewed November 27, 2013

The worst meal I have ever been unlucky enough to have in a restaurant. Definitely one to avoid, even with a 2 for 1 discount.

Have been using Tastecard/toptable for over a year so am used to trying different restaurants. We went to Blades for just that reason. I really really wish we hadn't bothered and had gone to the usual curryhouse.

The whole experience was awful. The service was atrocious, with two chaps who didn't speak any English. We had to ask for the menu 3 times. The bread (with butter) was stale. The garlic bread was probably out of a packet. The house wine was like vinegar. My grilled swordfish steak was cooked right behind my seat by one of the atrocious waiters, who clearly didn't know how to cook. The fish was served just about cooked on the outside and raw in the middle. I sent it back. It came back still raw in the middle. I left it. My boyfriend had congealed lamb. Awful. The side salad came with tomatoes that were so old they were inedible. The "French dressing" was salad cream - probably from Sainsburys across the road. The roast vegetables were frozen and re-heated. The boiled potatoes were white, and were probably frozen too - or re-constituted. The food was just dire.

We had to ask for the bill SIX times, and then they forgot to include the TasteCard reduction.

Our table was literally next to the grill, so that my coat/dress was covered in meat fat by the end of the evening and stunk. As soon as I got home I put the washing machine on and had a shower.

The only good thing was that the whole experience was so bad, we got the giggles and will no doubt dine out on this story for years.

Avoid avoid avoid avoid avoid.

2  Thank londonvicki
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had a 50% voucher for the food and thought why not trying something new. We had a warm welcome when we arrived. I was quiet surprised by how expensive it is.
We ordered the first bottle of wine, which was off. We said something and got another bottle. The owner (my guess) ask how they second bottle tasted, my answer was yes taste OK, but not was I expected from the wine served. From this point it all went down hill. He rudely said if I am not happy with the wine I can go across the road to Hudsons. He then refused to serve us the rest of the evening and the waiter who served us spoke so little English that it was hard to order our food and also got wrong side dishes. I will not go back even the food wasn't too bad. Very very rude service and we had to wait forever for food and bill and the restaurant was empty.

2  Thank Reisender4631