“Interesting and tasty experience”
Review of Zigni House - CLOSED

Zigni House
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian, Wine Bar
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Buffet, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I enjoyed my meal at Zigni house. The food was delicious - spicy lamb stew served on a light pancake was my main course. Very filling. I had also had a starter with lentils and pancake so it made for too much in the end, but it was all delicious. Friendly service, and safe ambiance for solo female diners.

There are newer reviews for Zigni House

Reviewed September 13, 2013

Just got home from Zigni House. I've never tried Eritrean food before, but I was rather curious and have always wanted to eat with my hands, only with the help of an injera. The decoration and the atmoshphere of the restaurant was warm, simple and not pretentious at all. We've had an amazing service, with the staff smiling at all times. My boyfriend had a chicken stew, while I opted for a plate with lentils. It was just fresh, delicious and felt like a meal cooked at home. I'd recommend the place to anyone as it has a big variety of dishes, extremely nice staff and an atmosphere that is highly appreciated on a rainy day in London.

Reviewed August 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are regulars at Zigni, and the reasons are very simple: the food is fresh and delicious, the service wonderful, the value really great. Eritrean food is one of the best in the world in my opinion, and at Zigni it gets cooked wonderfully. The injera, the bread on which food is served, is very tasty on its own, but when you use it to actually pick up your food, and gets soaked in the wonderful juices of the curries or the salads, that's the real thing. If you feel adventurous, try kifto, which is marinated mince meat, and can be served raw on request. It seemed terribly weird to me the first time my friends ordered it, but I have come back to it ever since. What makes the place special, though, are the smiling faces of the owner and her daughter, they always make us feel welcome and looked after. Can not recommend this place enough.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

This was my first Eritrean meal. The food was great, as I'd been led to expect. But the two outstanding surprises were the home made honey wine (brewed on the premises for four months apiece, with nothing but Eritrean honey, hops and water. A beautiful, light citrus wine like nothing I'd tried previously. Much more refreshing than British mead), and the traditional coffee. The coffee beans were roasted from fresh, the smoking pan brought out for us to smell, and then ground and boiled with a little cardamon. I'm an artisanal coffee fan, but this had a deep rich mellowness quite beyond anything I've had previously. If only they were open in the mornings!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Love Eritrean food and this did not disappoint. Basic decor but the food and service was good. Good value for money too.