“Very disappointing”

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Our experience at the Cafe Mad was extremely disappointing. The only good thing was the bread and calamare. The service was good however, it was the food that should be improved upon
Caesar salad was served with ordinary lettuce leaves and with no dressing! I asked for chicken on top which was overcooked and hard. My wife asked for liver which came both thinly and thick sliced. When we asked, "why?" the retort was, " that's how it comes!". One of the other diners wanted the specials. The soup was unavailable and after finishing the first course was then told there were no more specials
We won't be going back

Dry chewy

1  Thank Mandlebaum

Reviewed February 7, 2013

I was part of a party of six attending a business dinner here the first week of February. It was recommended by a colleague, and I was quite pleased with the meal, the service, and the facility.

This restaurant takes up a three story building on a corner in a very ritzy residential area, a short walk from the St. John’s Wood Tube station. The building itself (according to a waiter) dates to the 1800s, but it has been tenderly cared for. There’s a large patio out front, which would likely be enjoyably in the Spring and Fall. Once inside, there’s a nice bar to the left, and main floor seating to the right and next to a very large fireplace. The bathrooms are in the basement, and do watch your head on the stairs. I got nosy, so walked upstairs. On the second floor, I saw two banquet rooms, a smaller one and a larger one, both with original fireplaces. These would be ideal for meetings or small receptions.

Nice for me, at least on the main floor, they also had a solid wifi signal.

The menu is not one of those 15 page ordeals. It is tightly curated, without being singular. There’s a nice mix of classic dishes, and a section of steaks. The steaks are from a particular purveyor, who the waiter explained was just voted Best Purveyor of Steaks in the UK… the beef coming from Scotland. I have no reference point for the purveyor, but the ribeye I had was absolutely exquisite. Large bowls of French fries were brought out, along with various side dishes we had ordered.

Just a note on the steaks… I queried the waiter about how they are prepped, what sauces, etc. None. These are clean, genuine, un-monkeyed with steaks. The chef uses a dash of salt and pepper, but that is undetectable. I had a look at the kitchen (visible from the dining room), and chatted with the chef. True enough, they take a minimalist approach, allowing the steaks to do their thing. Nice.

My colleagues (Americans, Brits and an Indian) had dishes ranging from seafood to chicken to more steak. Everyone was quite pleased, and the size of the servings seemed more American than British (that’s a good thing). I watched as they cleared the table, and none of the plates went back with food left.

The wine list is also crisply sized, but what they have is quite good. And here, I was stunned at the low prices. If I had gone a few miles south into Mayfair, the same wines would’ve been marked 2x to 3x higher. We wanted to test the quality of their cellar, and everything ordered was nice, and for the whites, well chilled.

Negatives? I didn’t like smashing my head on the ceiling walking downstairs, but it was probably a cellar in the 1800s, and not a bathroom. Perhaps a warning sign to mind your head? Then, they turned the lights down in the dining room, which I suppose equates to ambiance. I prefer to see my food, but that’s just me… perhaps if Mrs. Gardiner were here I’d feel differently.

Net of all this, a delightful restaurant, delivering excellent foods and great wines at a remarkable pricepoint. I look forward to returning in the springtime, when I’d like to test out how well the wifi works on the patio outside…

Reviewed January 26, 2013

My wife and I just moved from Fulham to St John's Wood and a friend recommended we try out Cafe Med a few blocks north of us.

The decor and atmosphere was very pleasant - a hint if rustic french and we sat by the fire and open kitchen. It's perfect for a date night, not great I expect if you have kids.

Although a £1 table charge is added, it includes the best bread I can ever remember having at a restaurant. We had 2 baskets full. For our mains we had the sliced steak and tuna. Both were above average, and the side bean-based salads were excellent. For dessert was a wonderful brownie with ice cream - really it was great.

The disappointment of the evening was the service, and the reason for 4 and not 5 stars. While our food came quickly, the server barely said anything. She didn't introduce herself, tell us about the specials, check if we liked our food, or offer us more to drink. We expected more for the slightly higher meal prices

I would surely recommend Cafe Med and I will be going back.

Reviewed November 25, 2012

We are regulars at this restaurant and really like it here. The food is always good and the service excellent. They have a lovely fire and on a cold winter's evening there is always a nice cosy atmosphere.

Reviewed August 27, 2012

Quietly situated with a large terrace for balmy evenings and sunny days. The service was friendly and efficient but the fare was only average. It suited a post cinema meal on a Sunday evening.