“A wonderful find”
Review of Mosob Restaurant

Mosob Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Mosob Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #542 of 22,516 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: African, Ethiopian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Description: Situated in London's Westbourne Park, just a five minute meander from the local tube stop, Mosob offers visitors a unique opportunity to experience the flavours and atmosphere of Eritrea. Family run, Mosob is warm and welcoming, with charming service really embracing the family-centric traditions of Eritrea and inviting guests to relax and unwind while being treated to the kitchen's vibrant cuisine. Influenced by geographic and historic links to Arabia, Ethiopia, the Sudan and Italy, Eritrean cuisine is uniquely distinctive with a strong variety of vegetarian and vegan dishes, individual spice blends and specialty injera bread used throughout, providing guests with flavours and eating styles they're unlikely to have come across before. Equally focused on tradition and history is Mosob's interior, carefully put together with colourful textiles, rough wood paneling and organic forms alongside contemporary lighting and furniture for comfort and style. Whether an intimate romantic meal, business lunch or dinner and drinks with friends, Mosob offers the food, atmosphere and service to ensure a night to remember.
Basel, Switzerland
“A wonderful find”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

A friend took us to Mosob and I have to say it's wonderful. The atmosphere is warm and friendly and the people are genuinely pleased to see you. The food is different and very tasty. We had a selection of curries and vegetarian dishes that come on a huge plate with a pancake type of bread. You then use more of this bread to mop up the curries. It's a communal meal that suits the familial atmosphere of the place. I would definitely go back, again... and again.

London
“Mixed feelings - good experience, but not sure I'd rush back...”
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I went to Mossob with great hopes after all the great reviews and its rating within the top 10 of restaurants in London on Trip Advisor (Jan 2013). It was nice, but to be honest nothing amazing. What it does have going for it is that it is something a bit different. I'd never before eaten Eritrean food, so that was nice to try something new. I found it to be similar to Arabic food (which I've eaten a lot of over the years), but with the injera flatbread prevalent in almost every dish. Some of dishes also had good spice to it. I particularly liked the Zigni lamb stew which is their signature dish. Waiter was very friendly and made a real effort. One annoying thing was that after booking online through their website and getting a confirmation email back they still did not have our reservation in their book - poor show and needs to get sorted out. Decor looked authentic, music was nice. A pleasant enough evening, but not sure it merits all this fuss. Suppose one is bound to be disappointed when your hopes are high, but I'm not sure that I'd make the effort to go back again...

Belfast
“Great Expectations!”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Having looked at the reviews on tripadvisor my wife and I went to Mosob with high expectations. We arrived to an almost empty restaurant which was cold and spartan although I must say that the staff was very welcoming and charming. We ordered the mixed platter which was served on a cold pancake on a metal tray. We tried each of the dishes, but with the exception of the lamb, found the others relatively bland. The platter was also served with cold pancakes which didn't compliment the contents of the platter particularly well. As I said previously the staff was wonderful but in terms of a culinary experience, sadly we left disappointed.

London
“My favourite restaurant”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I have been coming to Mosob since 2005, quite a short time after it opened. In that time, I have been back more times than I can remember. From the very first visit, I have felt like part of the family. And for me, that is the most magical part. It is one thing to go to a restaurant and enjoy the food, and, more vaguely, the atmosphere. It is quite another to feel that you have enjoyed a cultural experience. From that first visit, when I looked through their coffee table book about Eritrea, to now, when I know the food very well, I feel that I have come home, and I can relax.

You enter the restaurant on Harrow Road, with its deep-hued decor, cleverly lit, and a heavenly smell of food hits you. Or, depending on when you arrive, the smell of freshly-roasted coffee beans, Eritrean-style. The menu tells you not only what the food is, but how to eat it, and where it comes from. All the traditional dishes are there, but the recipes are family ones. The prices are very reasonable. You can have unlimited injera (the pancake-like bread which you dip in the dishes), and African beer to wash it down (or wine, or whatever else takes your fancy).

And how is the food? Delicious. All of it, whether meat-based or vegetarian.

I have taken so many friends here over the years, and they have come back again and again too. It is no surprise. This restaurant is a home away from home. I'll be back soon I hope.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“First of what will be many visits...”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I was taken to Mosob as a surprise last night, and I can't say enough good things about it. Great food, great service, great atmosphere. The deliciousness of the dishes is matched only by the sincerity and warmth of the staff. We got one of the vegetarian platters, and there was not a chickpea left when we were done with it. I can't write any more, because it is just making me hungry. Go there and experience the tastiness, yourself!