“The Good, The Bad and the Ugly....”
Review of Kalamari

Kalamari
Ranked #6,260 of 22,808 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chiswick
London, United Kingdom
“The Good, The Bad and the Ugly....”
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Visited on a Friday night, with a lady friend who lived in Greece for 10 years. It was supposed to be a surprise, to celebrate her birthday.
OK let's break it down, as per the title....
# GOOD...
Communication - Booked for 3 people, by phone, and I am assuming I spoke to the owner. He was very friendly, and accommodating. We arranged for a surprise birthday cake to be made available. I consequently had to call, and rearrange... but again, this was no problem and all was very friendly.
Arrival - We were 30 minutes late, due to some horrendous traffic on the M4/A4. I did call ahead to advise, and again very friendly and warm response. We were also down to 2 diners, and not 3. The waiter and the owner greeted and seated us... all very nice and smiling.
Food - What was VERY good was: The Stiffado, wonderful fresh pittas, the chips (really home made) and the Basturma sausage starter.
# BAD...
Not busy - Pretty empty for a Friday night, maybe only 3 tables in use.. all the time we were there ? This has got to be unusual for a purportedly favourable establishment in Chiswick ?
Kalamari - My friend had the grilled Kalamari, and it smelled really bad. She did not want to make a fuss, so we just decided to share my Stiffado and chips. The waiter noticed this, and insisted on knowing if there was an issue. My friend (very politely) said she though the Kalamari was not fresh. To his credit, the waiter apologised, offered us an alternative, and later took the cost off our bill. However, this signalled a total attitude change from the previously warm and friendly owner. He totally blanked us from there on - he did not even come over to apologise or discuss the issue. Surely he should have done so, if he had any concern about his clientele and reputation ? He just sat in the corner, doing paperwork and making phone calls.
No cake - Needless to say we did not get our surprise birthday cake... what a petty and sulky act ! That would have gone some way to repairing the whole situation, and be seen as an attempt at genuine reparation.
# UGLY...
As a result of that stale Kalamari, we both consequently got food poisoning the next day. I have thought about calling the restaurant to let them know, but given the owner's apparent true colours, I seriously doubt if he will care.
# SUMMARY....
I agree with a previous reviewer, in that this place needs a serious update and possible re-brand. Given it's location, it could do very well as a result.
Read my previous reviews and you will see that I am not a vindictive person, I so wanted this place to be good. I stand by my 'GOOD' comments, above... and if you stay away from the seafood, I would like to believe that you could potentially have a very nice experience at this place.

• Visited November 2013

Boulder, Colorado
“Best grilled Kalamari ever!”
Reviewed November 23, 2013

Friendly, efficient staff - wonderful atmosphere and delicious Greek cuisine. The aroma from the grilled Kalamari was heavenly. We will definitely be back and would recommend this restaurant to friends and family.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank ontheroadagainlondon
London, United Kingdom
“Never thought I would like Greek food quite so much...”
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I ate here with a colleague when I was last in Chiswick. We ordered Chicken Kebab and Mixed Grill with salad and rice; Tzatziki, Houmous with Pita. Absolutely amazingly delicious. Definitely freshly cooked, nothing on 'stand by' or re-heated.

I'd never tried Greek rice before but I'd order that about any other carb; it's truly melt-in-the-mouth Ambrosia of the Gods stuff, it really is.

We'd arrived at about 1830, straight from the office, and the restaurant was quiet but by 1900 it was really quite busy - a sign of good food and great ambience I always think. Quick, attentive but unobtrusive service - that really delights me.

I can't wait to go back here - may well order a takeaway when I'm here next Monday... Rice and ? Who knows, but definitely, absolutely the RICE!!!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Jenny T
“Superb Greek Cuisine”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We have been dining here for over 4 years and have always found the food to be great. The butterfly prawns and Basturma (spicy sausage) are always excellent, and the Kleftico is to die for.
The service is always first class. If you are looking for an alternative to pasta, rice and curry dishes then this should be top of your list. Good honest food, reasonably priced and good sized portions. What more could you want?
We will continue to dine here.
Steve & Ewelina

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank Steve M
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect for a romantic night out under a Greek starry sky.”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We went there for a romantic impromptu dinner and it was lovely. We had some of the rosé house wine which was surprisingly very tasty and some really great moussaka. Perfect.

• Visited August 2013