“Fantastic Experience!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Dans Le Noir
Ranked #402 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Description: Located in trendy Clerkenwell, the novel concept behind Dans le Noir is to re-think the notion of taste by serving your food in complete pitch darkness. The eclectic menu is designed to maximise such heightened sensory awareness; instead of listed dishes, there are surprise menus with omissions to suit different tastes (such as vegetarian). Blind staff serve and guide diners in the main restaurant, with a lit bar and lounge for ordering and pre- or post-dinner cocktails.
Lincolnshire
“Fantastic Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

What an amazing experience this was!
Having been taken to the restaurant 6 years ago - I felt I needed to revisit and share the experience with my partner again!
Guided and served by blind people in complete pitch black may not sound like some people's idea of a good night out but believe me it is a truly awesome experience!
A lovely little quaint bar welcomes you where there is a great choice of drinks even if a little expensive!
You then lock all your valuables and things which may illuminate into a locker and chose from a variety of menu's catered for all requirements.
As a very fussy eater I was a little aprehensive of chosing from a "surprise" menu so on my first visit opted for the vegetarian - as you only get a category rather than knowing the exact dishes you are eating, I went safe as I do not eat sea food of red meat generally.
On my second visit I was brave and chose from the surprise menu!
On both of my visits I have not been disappointed and thouroughly enjoyed allowing my hightened senses to tell me if I liked the food, rather than letting my eyes dislike the sight!

Would highly recommend the restaurant to anybody looking for something different to try and in comparison to other london restaurants I do not think it is over priced at approx £40.00 per head for 2 courses or £50.00 for 3 courses

• Visited May 2012

• Polish first
London, England, United Kingdom
“Great fun with friends”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

I have visited 'Dans Le Noir' recently and I would say that is the best experience ever! Great fun with friends! You wouldn't expect that darkness !

Food was good, I higly recommend suprise menu - it will definetely suprise you ;)

Drinks are quite expensive, a shot of vodka around £8

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Brilliant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

Dans Le Noir was the best restaurant I’ve been to. It was more than just a restaurant – it was a total experience! It was like nothing I’ve ever encountered before – the fact that you can’t see a thing is very strange and exciting. Discussing the meal with your group afterwards is almost as fun as being there – and so interesting to see what they have pictured compared to you. The food was delicious, and really surreal to just eat in the dark without knowing what you are eating. I’d really recommend this restaurant to people.

A tip would be to go in a group not a twosome... the dark can make you feel quite vulnerable, and it was comforting to know I was sat next to and opposite people close to me. It was also more fun to discuss after!

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank kierakiera
London, United Kingdom
“Expected a lot more for my Money!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2013

The idea of this experience is great, but unfortunately the reality for me was disappointing.
Having first gone to the toilet to find it grubby I thought surely from the prices they charge this should have been far better. Then we got to choose our menu, was slightly apprehensive but this was fine, me & my girlfriend choose separate menu's. We then was guided to our table by our waitress who was very nice.
After only sitting for a short time we had our bottle of surprise red wine which was nice and then our starters. My girlfriend didn't like hers much but I think this was just because it was quite slimy and she was thinking it could be tenticals (turned out to be Beef Tartare). I had a very nice tender meat which turned out to be ostrich. My big disappointment was the main course and desert. Being in total darkness you would expect to rely on your taste and smell, I'm sorry to say both me and my girlfriend felt like the food lacked any flavour and the meats were dry or fatty. Being in darkness we couldn't really tell but didn't think the sauces that were allegedly meant to be with the meats were there.

Desert was very average rice pudding and 2 undercooked slices of apple overloaded with cinnamon for an extortionate £9.00.

Overall its safe to say I wouldn't recommend this unless you have money to waste because although the experience was good the overpriced food outweighed our enjoyment.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Shane W
Dln D, Public Relations Manager at Dans Le Noir, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Hi, We have been striving to keep our prices reasonable in order to make this experience accessible to everyone. The current prices took into account strict safety requirements, a bigger staff than any normal restaurant but also a cuisine based on fresh products. But,we make special reduction for Students.
London, United Kingdom
“What a worderfull experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2013

I suggest you to try it at least once because the experience really worth it! I went to this restaurant last week and it was so amazing. The food is pretty good and the staff very nice. Everybody took care of us and it was so convivial.
I hope you will try it asap.