“Expected a lot more for my Money!!”
Review of Dans Le Noir ?

Dans Le Noir ?
Ranked #372 of 23,677 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Description: Located in trendy Clerkenwell, the novel concept behind Dans le Noir is to re-think the notion of taste by serving your food in complete pitch darkness. The eclectic menu is designed to maximise such heightened sensory awareness; instead of listed dishes, there are surprise menus with omissions to suit different tastes (such as vegetarian). Blind staff serve and guide diners in the main restaurant, with a lit bar and lounge for ordering and pre- or post-dinner cocktails.
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The idea of this experience is great, but unfortunately the reality for me was disappointing.
Having first gone to the toilet to find it grubby I thought surely from the prices they charge this should have been far better. Then we got to choose our menu, was slightly apprehensive but this was fine, me & my girlfriend choose separate menu's. We then was guided to our table by our waitress who was very nice.
After only sitting for a short time we had our bottle of surprise red wine which was nice and then our starters. My girlfriend didn't like hers much but I think this was just because it was quite slimy and she was thinking it could be tenticals (turned out to be Beef Tartare). I had a very nice tender meat which turned out to be ostrich. My big disappointment was the main course and desert. Being in total darkness you would expect to rely on your taste and smell, I'm sorry to say both me and my girlfriend felt like the food lacked any flavour and the meats were dry or fatty. Being in darkness we couldn't really tell but didn't think the sauces that were allegedly meant to be with the meats were there.

Desert was very average rice pudding and 2 undercooked slices of apple overloaded with cinnamon for an extortionate £9.00.

Overall its safe to say I wouldn't recommend this unless you have money to waste because although the experience was good the overpriced food outweighed our enjoyment.

1  Thank Shane W
Dln D, Public Relations Manager at Dans Le Noir ?, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Hi, We have been striving to keep our prices reasonable in order to make this experience accessible to everyone. The current prices took into account strict safety requirements, a bigger staff than any normal restaurant but also a cuisine based on fresh products. But,we make special reduction for Students.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,009)

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I suggest you to try it at least once because the experience really worth it! I went to this restaurant last week and it was so amazing. The food is pretty good and the staff very nice. Everybody took care of us and it was so convivial.
I hope you will try it asap.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

Was such an amazing experience. The food was great, the people there were lovely and we left the restaurant on a high . Would recommend this to everyone

Reviewed February 9, 2013

Eating in the total darkness was a new experience for me. I found it to be very interesting. At first the total darkness felt akward but at the main course one could concentrate on things beyond the darkness. The service was nice, food was good, and the experience itself was great.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Wow. I was really taken aback when entering the dining room - or dark room as the staff there call it (!).

It really is pitch dark - you cannot see your hand in front of you and your eyes do not adjust. There is simply no light at all in the dining room.

We were led by our blind waiter by placing hands on shoulders of the person in front. He guided us to our table, warning us of left and right turns as we went.

It was surreal. You have no idea where the edges of the room are, how many people are there or who you might be sitting next to. Personally I didn't like being put next to strangers, however we were lucky and the strangers at our table were quite friendly.

I felt totally dependent upon our blind waiter. He was a friendly chap with lots of patience (answering some rather bizzarre and quite cheeky/personal questions from a fellow diner).

The food itself tasted to me like school dinner standard. Once we were out the other side and the menus we'd eaten were shared with us - including photographs of the food - I was amazed. It really does seem to be presented and prepared as fine dining dishes, or close to that standard, but I guess that being denied the sense of sight makes the food taste differently? Just my theory - perhaps the quality of the food really was poor? It would be interesting to have exactly the same menu but with the lights on to test that out!

The noise was surprising - it felt quite raucous but I think that might be something to do with having your sight taken away from you. I guess some people get very excited by such a radical experience and others were simply shouting for their waiter - you only have their name and you have no idea if they are present in the room or not or if they are, if they are close to your table or not.

Having had this experience once I wouldn't do it again by choice, but I'm glad that I've had the experience.

I agree with other comments about the portions being small and that overall the place is overpriced. I think it would have more credibility if the prices were fairer - after all, it's not like they need to keep the dining room looking great!

Recommended.