“Afternoon Tea”

Dining options: Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Transit: High St Kensington
Description: "Just off Kensington High Street, the award-winning Milestone Hotel's Cheneston Restaurant offers a spot of luxury for lunch and dinner. Reminiscent of a stately home, the room's focal point is the fancy fireplacein front of which charming staff pass to and fro attending to your every need. Our Executive Chef's international menu focuses on Modern British quisine, and his deserts are simply Divine - try sticky toffee pudding with butterscotch sauce and clotted cream washed down with a sweet glass of Muscat de Rivesaltes 1998. Splendid." in front of which charming staff pass to and fro attending to your every need. Trevor Baines' international menu focuses on Modern British dishes such as a smoked haddock and leek fritter starter, and main of pan fried calves liver, bacon, red cabbage and mash served with onion gravy. Desserts are divine - try sticky toffee pudding with butterscotch sauce and clotted cream washed down with a sweet glass of Muscat de Rivesaltes 1998. Splendid."
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have lived in London for four years and have had the pleasure of sampling many afternoon teas, but The Milestone by far outshines all the rest. I was so impressed by their attention to details and the service the first time I experienced afternoon tea there, that when my family came to visit, 11 people to be exact, The Milestone very courteously accommodated all of us even though I made reservations just two days prior.
I was so pleased when Afternoon tea the second time around was just as elegant and delightful as the first time. The service was OVER THE TOP!
I highly recommend The Milestone, I can't say enough about it, you will just have to try it for yourself!

2  Thank DaniaS1953
MilestoneGM, General Manager at Cheneston's Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Thank you so much for posting your kind words following your afternoon tea with us at The Milestone Hotel. I was so happy to read that once again we have met you and your guests expectations. I have passed on your glowing review to my Food and Beverage team this morning. Please do come and see us once again soon.
My kindest regards,
Andrew Pike

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Husband and I ate at the CHENESTON'S on Wed 5 June. Our third visit. Menu stated roast of the day which was Pork. We booked a table and ordered the roast pork, menu stated that it would be carved at the table, crackling etc. Very disappointed to be presented with a pork chop! When advising the waiter told that there was no pork joint and the chop had been sent up from the kitchen. If no joint available this should have been explained to us, and not presented as acceptable! Having eaten in many 5star restaurants, and twice had a delicious lunch at the Cheneston's this was not what was expected. A very disappointing evening!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

My husband and I stay at The Milestone regularly. We always eat dinner at Cheneston's at least once when we are there. There is a nice menu with some excellent selections-- some fancy and some basic. I love the Hunter's Salad and my husband always has the chicken pot pie. Nice staff, great cocktails and good wine list- with many from South Africa that are nice and affordable. They also serve a terrific breakfast as well as high tea. All in all...one of our favorites in London in a great hotel.

1  Thank Jerry C
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Remember the days, not that long ago, when tourists returning from Britain complained about the bland, tasteless English food? Then outside cuisines began to creep in and one could "survive" on other countrys' choices while visiting the UK. Well, British is back and it is bold and proud. If you need proof, reserve a table at Cheneston's. Located in the rear of the ground level of The Milestone Hotel in Kensington, Cheneston's is a lovely taste of true Britain both in appearance and taste. A tempting menu of traditional and modern dishes greets you upon arrival. Servers are most adept at leading you through the many choices. A large leather bound wine list includes bottles from all corners of the world. Selections having been made, it is a lovely room to relax in and to appreciate the hushed tones of fellow diners. The tinkle of cutlery and shared nods of approval surround you. My husband chose to start with the crab salade and I opted for the West Coast scallops. Both were little works of art of which Turner would have been proud. The ingredients were extremely fresh--are those pea shoots growing in a roof garden here? Our entrees included Goosenargh duck and Wagyu steak fillet.
Knowing it was not quite proper to lick our plates in such surroundings, we did out best to do so with knife and fork. The food was a delight. Every so often people speak of impeccable service--it is on display here every night of the week. The Cheneston's team works the room like a well oiled machine--every cog and wheel in place, no friction, just smooth operating.
While dining in such splendor does come with a price tag, it is a worthy cost. It is a meal you will remember long after you walk down the front stairs of that lovely brick establishment. Do yourself a favor--pinch your pennies or pounds and treat yourself to top British cooking, service and decor--a terrific trifecta!

1  Thank Rebecca D
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We ate here whilst staying at the hotel & had a lovely meal from the set menu. The shrimp stroganoff was excellent as was my husbands pasta, the desserts were also gorgeous. Unlike some set menu's the quality of the food & portions were not compromised. Would recommend dining here if you are staying at the hotel.