“Double birthday celebration disappointment”

Rivington Bar & Grill - Greenwich
Reserve with OpenTable
Rivington Bar & Grill - Greenwich is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,522 of 24,264 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Greenwich
Description: Rivington Grill Greenwich is a friendly neighbourhood restaurant, serving seasonal food with ingredients sourced from the UK and Ireland. We are open for lunch and dinner seven days a week and serve breakfast at the weekends. Group bookings and private parties can be accommodated in our mezzanine space for up to 45 people. Located in the heart of Greenwich, next door to the Greenwich Picture House, we are a stone's throw from The National Maritime Museum, Cutty Sark, Greenwich Observatory, Queen's House and Greenwich market. The O2 is a short drive away.
Reviewed February 3, 2013

We booked a table of 8 to celebrate both mine and my son's birthday on the recommendation of a friend and were really looking forward to a great evening. Sadly we were very disappointed.

We arrived on time and as soon as we walked through the door it was clear all was not well. There was an atmosphere of stress and disorganisation - people flying around all over the place, grabbing plates, glasses, menus etc. we waited too long for someone to come over and acknowledge our arrival and when he did, the number of people they were expecting was incorrect. I had telephoned the evening before to reduce the booking to 7 people and when I received a text asking me to confirm my booking I also told them there were now only 7 people. Clearly neither message had been received. We were told that our table was "just being laid so please give us two minutes". We were happy to sit and wait but as time ticked by we wondered what was going on. After 25 minutes we were asked if we would like to order some drinks and we said yes, but I asked if they could check what was happening with our table. The waitress disappeared to find out and there was another ten minute wait before the first chap returned to say the table wouldn't be long! At that point a party of 8 descended the stairs and left the restaurant - mmm guess where theybwere sitting? Within 10 minutes we were led to our table, which despite telling the staff three times was now for a party of 7 was nevertheless set for 8. The eighth setting was hurriedly removed and 45 minutes after we entered the restaurant we were seated and given a drink albeit only water.

The rest of the evening was fine, but the food is average - fine, but nothing to get excited about. Service too was ok, but it took me a while to attract the attention of the waitress to replenish drinks (it would have been nice if someone had approached us to check if we wanted anything else and if everything was ok) and annoyingly whilst I was trying to attract the attention of our waitress, the other one was busily re-laying tables, I suppose to save her time for the next service. More attention to the people in the room would have been nice.

I am afraid we won't be returning anytime soon; my husband was furious as my birthday was spoiled. Yes all restaurants have the occasional disorganised service and when staff approach the problems with honesty and a genuine apology of course they can be forgiven. But to be deliberately misled about the wait for our table and not be offered a drink whilst we waited was not great. Definitely could do better as attention to detail and hospitality and the personal touch is sadly lacking.

1  Thank Alip2264

Reviewed January 27, 2013 via mobile

A recent stay in Greenwich resulted in a lovely dinner at Rivington. We enjoyed it so much that we returned 3 nights later. Good food, an interesting wine list and attentive service added up to an enjoyable dining experience. Locals rave about the breakfast which we didn't get to experience. Maybe next time.

1  Thank BALSydney
Reviewed January 16, 2013 via mobile

11 of us recently had lunch at the Starter I had devilled Rivington Grilland nobody had any cause for complaint at all.

As a starter I had Deviled kidneys which were wonderful, the main cause I had steak and mushroom pie which was brilliant and the desert I had Bakewell tart super.

Service was fantastic, The atmosphere was brilliant And I thoroughly recommend to anyone One of the best meals I have had in London

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I can honestly say this is the best breakfast I've had in years. We frequently have breakfast at The Wolsley and Canteen and this is better than both. My husband had the full english and I had the bubble, eggs and mushrooms and both were beautifully cooked and absolutely piping hot. The toast was made from lovely 'real' bread and cooked to perfection. The surroundings were spotless and the staff friendly and professional. I cannot fault it in any way and we will definitely be back, next time for dinner.

1  Thank angie63
Reviewed January 11, 2013

We just came back from having dinner here and we both found the food delicious. The atmosphere was relaxing, so that was nice as well. I had the burger with a fried egg and with bacon and two glasses of bubbly and the hubby had the cod with red wine. The waiters were friendly to us and attentive as well. In our books, this is definite repeat!