“Still good inc Serivice”

Gillray's Steakhouse & Bar
Ranked #416 of 23,023 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southbank
Description: We serve the best Aberdeen Angus steak sourced from English farms accompanied by the highest quality service. Situated on the banks of the River Thames with views of the London Eye, there is no better location from which to enjoy your delicious meal. Our bar is open late and serves a mixture of classic and contemporary cocktails; a selection of over 70 gins and a wide selection of beers, wines, and spirits.
Leicester
“Still good inc Serivice”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Took the team to have lunch instead of the normal Turkey offering. The whole team loved it from the novel Yorkshire puds with Cheese to the super steaks and Trifle well who cannot try the trifle!! it is so good.

One comment would be the other dessert Lemon meringue pie with cream is fine but custard!! very odd but to have both is bizzare.

Service was super and the staff should be credited with this.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Hemel Hempstead, United Kingdom
“Super steaks, service, sumptuous surroundings”
Reviewed December 22, 2013

We had a great experience @ Gillrays on Friday 2oth December 2013. After a nice day at Ascot races, myself and 5 pals descended on County Hall and had a thoroughfully good time. Food was beautifully cooked and presented, excellent choice of complementary wines and the service and guidance that we received from our waiter (Adam) was first-class!

1 Thank Paul A
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“It must be better than this”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Where to start? Had intended eating here for a while, eventually booked a 'special online deal'.
We were seated and given an I-pad to choose our wine from, a wine list would have been easier.
The menu was a bit difficult to read, we're not as young as we were and the lighting is very dim, had to use 2 candles to read it. No sign of the 'special menu', but the normal menu looked good. The Yorkshire pudding with melted cheese and horseradish was really nice.
My wife enjoyed her oysters and I thought the chowder was fantastic.
The steaks were a different story, my (well done?) ribeye was oozing blood, my wife was given a supposedly rare rump that was more cooked than my well done steak and was so tough that she couldn't cut it. The staff were very nice and replaced it with a rare 'lady steak'. This arrived looking nicely seared on the outside and red in the middle, just how she likes it, but stone cold.
The cost of her steak was removed from the bill and the staff were most apologetic but it can't be difficult to cook steak. We must have been unlucky because if its always like this the place wouldn't survive. Not sure that we will try it again though, an expensive mistake

• Visited December 2013
“Excellent food and service”
Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

Lunch yesterday that was impeccable. I must specifically mention the Maître D (an American lady I think) for whom nothing was too much trouble. She had something different to say to each party. She had detailed knowledge of the steak cuts, and was attentive without being over-bearing.

Visited December 2013
Geneva, Switzerland
“Except for the view, nothing to write home about”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I stayed at the Marriott County Hall several days, so had a few meals at Gillray's...

Breakfast: In general, there were a limited continental breakfast buffet (not much choice, no salmon or cold cuts, ...) with à la carte eggs and sides. Everything was all right but not more. The only great item was the excellent double espresso coffee!

Lunch: We had business lunches there, or next door, in the library. Good food for a buffet, although the choice was here again limited.

Dinner: Only once I could have dinner at the Gillray's. The couple of other times I tried, I was either sent to the nearby library with another limited menu, or even worse, to a small meeting room with only the room service available - no bar: just unacceptable! While many events are organised at the end of the year, it does not justify to treat so badly the resident guests.
So during that only dinner I could take at the Gillray's, I was first given an appetiser that looked more like a whole meal (brioche with melted cheese in it). I ordered the soup of the day (actually of the week since it was every night pumpkin soup!) and a beef tenderloin (good). Wine by the glass was available, but for most of them at more than GBP 10 a small glass (175mm). So with two glasses of wine, a three meals course would cost about GBP 70 - 75 per person...

The service was however good thanks to the great staff (although one evening it took more than 90 minutes to have a quick dinner).

Bottom line: Make sure it isn't closed on the evening you want to visit the Gillray's. If open, go for a drink, to enjoy the nice set-up and the great view. If you stay for dinner, expect a good service but an average food.