“Gun Makers Pub Clerkenwell”
Review of Gunmakers

Gunmakers
Ranked #14,033 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Bar scene
Neighborhood: Clerkenwell
Description: The Gunmakers is an independent pub in a Clerkenwell back street with a loyal band of regulars. Our focus is on British cask ales and ciders (we offer seven) and proper pub cuisine prepared from fresh ingredients by our own chef. The wine's pretty good too thanks to our relationship with a speciality wine merchants (who just happen to be regular customers too). What we do, we do well, and we don't bother with the rest: so there's no piped music, cocktails, alcopops, tea or coffee. Oh, and you can't book a table or an "area" in the evening. We prefer spontaneous people who aren't afraid to mix with others.The building was constructed in the 1840s and is the sole survivor of what was once a dense terrace of narrow houses, now surrounded by larger industrial and commercial buildings constructed many years later. It was briefly a riflemaker's workshop, before being converted to a beerhouse before 1861. It has traded as a pub ever since. London's Little Italy grew up around the area, with Italian culture holding sway for around a century before the community dispersed in the 1950s/60s.
London, United Kingdom
“Gun Makers Pub Clerkenwell”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Works night out.

Great beer and a nice atmosphere.

We didn't partake in the food, but what we saw being served up looked tasty.

Extensive selection of beers served by a knowledgeable team behind the bar.

• Visited August 2013

London, United Kingdom
“The best place in London to drink a great pint”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

No TV, no background music to encourage Ted-from-IT-on-his-24th-birthday-and-drunk-from-the-alcopops-at-lunch-in-the-copyroom to do slurred karaoke. No poker machines.

What you do get is one of the best beer selections in London. 4-5 handpumps, a couple of great lagers and some real cider. The quality of the beer is second to none. There is great joy, care and knowledge in this place.

Clearly the landlord knows his product; he knows his regulars and knows the value of how to engage new customers--there's always a good story to be told.

Leo the barman is a legend; the Ben Sherman and Agent Provacateur regulars add a touch of sexy to the place.

Mountain Climber Whitters, Matty Lad, Ed the Patois Pizzamaker, Terry the retired footballer, Wee Rossie, Dr Evil Dael, Lambchop, Jim the Texan..the list of regulars, the famous and their hangers-on is legendary and sure to help ensure your time at The Gunmakers is beyond excellent.

Summary: you have to drink here if you consider yourself a fan of great craft beers, you just won't be disappointed.

Can't wait to drink again and can't wait for the return of crisps, olives and piercing tweets.

• Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Shame about the Landlord”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Went to this pub the other evening, I have to say that the Pork Burger that I had was very nice and the waitress that served us was also very nice. However, the landlord is something else! We had a little confusion with our order but no one got upset but the LL took to Twitter to criticise us whilst we were still there?!! When a one of the group confronted him he went ballistic never experienced anything like it.
Shame as this ruined what would have been an otherwise nice pub - the food was pretty good and the beer wasnt too bad.

• Visited July 2013
4 Thank Nevertoomanyhols
London, United Kingdom
“Great beer: surreal approach to customer service from owner”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

One of our party mentioned last night to the owner that moaning about us on twitter whilst we were still eating wasn't appropriate. This escalated into said owner calling my partner a fat [--] and threatening to headbutt him. Rates as one of the most bizarre experiences of drinking in London. We paid our bill. Tipped. Will never return.

• Visited July 2013
5 Thank Bird W
J B, Owner at Gunmakers, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Please could I shine some light on this vindictive and mendacious review. I would ask readers to note the person in question has (a) created an account simply to make her personal attack and (b) recruited two others to make similar attacks, both of which contain serious untruths.

On the evening in question, I had posted something on twitter about how annoying it was for professional serving staff when someone who had joined a group very late, and ordered very late, claimed a dish from the first order leaving a fellow diner without. This was annoying because you blamed us. On reflection I wish I hadn't posted anything, and simply taken it on the chin. I learned a lesson. I made a mistake. I did apologise when it became apparent someone at the table read my tweet. However, it was not offensive, so the reaction I received was far from justified.

Subsequently this reviewer ran around my pub shouting, and her husband said he wasn't going to pay the bill, which would have been stealing, of course. As he left he ran up to me and called me a "prick", said he hoped I would become bankrupt, and then ran away. I called after him that he was a coward, and I stand by that. I did not threaten the reviewer's husband in any way and I would respectfully ask the reviewer to withdraw that comment.

Sometimes people adopt ploys in order to try and get something for free, unreasonably. I made it clear that would not happen. This reviewer is seeking revenge via a semi-anonymous internet review. I am sorry you have had to read it.
Sweden
“Your #1 off grid stop”
Reviewed March 24, 2013

It's not downtown, it's not local. But it's as good as it gets. Hands down the best place to drink yourself through the afternoon, at great prices with great atmosphere and friendly staff. This is my number 1 waterhole in London

• Visited March 2013