“Lovely food”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Japanese, Grill
Good for: Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Knightsbridge
Description: Zuma in London's Knightsbridge offers a sophisticated twist on the traditional Japanese izakaya style of informal eating and drinking. The ethos behind Zuma is to deliver an authentic, contemporary flavour of the east, while respecting the traditions of the past.
Reviewed February 6, 2013

Really loved the restaurant - the food was tasty and presented in a beautiful way. Went with a group of friends and we had a lovely time - the service was excellent too.

1  Thank ScooterJuly
Write a ReviewReviews (2,323)

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Zuma is a swanky Japanese restaurant located in the exclusive district of Knightsbridge.

I visited Zuma in December 2012 with a friend and this is definitely not the place if you're looking for quantity rather than quality. My first impression of the place was that it was overstaffed, the counter by the entrance had 4 people behind and I noticed lines of staff waiting to serve customers (which may not be a bad thing really) but later the restaurant began to fill up pretty fast so I guess everyone was put to use!
As a result, service was attentive and overall, brilliant.

Food was pretty good but nothing to shout about. I wouldn't call it 100% Japanese, i did feel there was a bit of fusion, including the ambience of the restaurant
Coming from Asia, I've obviously had better but this is one of the better places to have Japanese food in London IF you're willing to splurge. Moreover, they have an interesting dessert menu. I had a chocolate ganache sort of dessert in a shape of Buddha's face, which I thought was pretty quirky, plus it was yummy too.

I also did notice that by 9pm, nearly 40% of Zuma's customers were yuppies or working professionals having cocktails, so I'm guessing Zuma is pretty popular as a bar too.

For two people, we had a sushi platter each, 2 starters, 2 grill dishes and 2 desserts;
our total bill came up to a startling 280pounds.

Overall a good experience, but probably won't plan to visit in the near future unless it's a special occasion to feel particularly rich.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

The food in this place is amazing. Top ingredients, extremely fresh, very inventive and creative cuisine.
The service is top notch as well, even for London where in general the service is already better than let's say Paris, Brussels or Amsterdam. Our waitress was very attentive, kind and gentle. The tip is already included - but mentioned separately - in the bill, which is handy. The other staff were also all very friendly and all smiles.

But the noise.... We were here on a Friday evening so the area around the bar was packed and so was the lounge area. People were chatting very very loudly. Although I was sitting very close to my husband, I could hardly hear him and couldn't make myself heard. So we ended of people watching and not talking - and enjoying our lovely food of course. But when leaving the restaurant, my head felt like it was about to explode, so you might want to bring earplugs...

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I like Zuma, everything about the restaurant is done perfectly.

the food is fantastic. I did not have the sushi, but chose a selection of items recommended by the waiter. All very good.

The bar area gets crowded but the cocktails are all very good if a little "different"...you'll have to see for yourself what I mean.

It is also a Celeb hotspot, we were sitting at a table next to a famous American model who lives in London...I think you can guess who.

The only reason it doesnt get 5 stars, is that it is extremely difficult to get a reservation.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Very beautiful space and although it's huge, it's elegant and slick, with good and polite service and beautiful crowd. Even though it was midweek, it's was super-packed and I really liked that the service never lost its smile.
It's a place that you don't go so much for the food as to enjoy a cool atmosphere, still I have to admit that some preparations, like the black cod, were very yummy. Cocktails were nice, we had a few many of the lemongrass martinis, of course it ached when the bill came!
Dress up, don't look for a gourmet extravaganza and Zuma won't let you down!

1  Thank afoodlover68