“Superb”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Drawing on Joel Robuchon's internationally renowned culinary expertise, already accredited with several Michelin Stars at restaurants throughout the world, L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon's philosophy is based on serving simple cuisine of the most exceptional quality. This London restaurant has been awarded Michelin Star, as well as 3 AA Rosettes, establishing it as one of the most exceptional places to dine in London. Robuchon's menu delights the palate with clean insightful flavours and refreshingly understated presentation. The dishes are predominantly French with Italian and Spanish influences. The dining experience at L'Atelier is an interactive one. On the ground floor, the eating counter surrounds the entire kitchen where the food is prepared. Robuchon sees the immediate benefit of this Japanese-inspired layout to chefs, as one can gauge the reaction of clients, and even converse with them whilst they watch their food being prepared. Unlike the sister restaurants in Paris and Tokyo, the London restaurant also has another 20 seats where diners can sit opposite each other. Meanwhile, La Cuisine on the first floor offers more traditional restaurant seating in a setting that could be likened to dining in the kitchen itself. Wherever you are seated you will enjoy the highest quality food in an informal, convivial environment. Valet parking is also available. Please note, last reservations are taken half an hour prior to closing time. Dress code: Smart Casual, shorts are not permitted.
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had the lunch menu with wines. The food was delicious and beautifully presented with an elegant explanation of each from the waiter. Our teenage children enjoyed their lunches too. We had dessert in the bar upstairs as the restaurant was busy and I think they needed our table, but we didn't feel rushed. Excellent service and inspiring food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,927)

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Shared a birthday dinner with 3 friends last week. The waiter was attentive and helpful, knowing we only had 1.5 hours before our show, he kept the flow so we were not hurried. Special dessert plate for the birthday girl quickly organized and beautifully presented. The atmosphere is lovely and the food delicious.

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

I brought my friends for lunch a few weeks ago and as this was my second visit was slightly apprehensive that Atelier wouldn't live up to my previously set high expectations. I needn't have worried!!
The food was lovely and beautifully presented as expected. My friend had a dandelion and poached egg starter which was described as the 'best salad I've ever had'! I had quail stuffed with foie gras and it was delicious. I can't find the words to describe the mashed potato but needless to say it has been occupying my thoughts since my last visit and was every bit as good as I remembered!
What really makes this place special though is the service. Waiters explain dishes before you ask so there are no feelings of awkwardness and they were very patient when we took ages to make up our minds what to order! Our waiter noticed my friend's reluctance to eat the foie gras amuse-bouche and replaced it with an alternative without being asked. I also asked a question about nuts in the bread as my partner has an allergy which means I have to avoid them. I was immediately offered a fresh basket all to myself and a nut free selection was brought. He also made a note for the kitchen. I have had all sorts of problems in other restaurants so this was particularly appreciated.
We took our coffee in the bar upstairs and every staff member we encountered en route asked if we were enjoying our lunch. In a manner which suggested our satisfaction was their main objective. Great customer service.
This was a special treat outing for my friends and they were talking about the food and service all the way home. Thanks for another lovely meal. I'll be back!!

Reviewed June 7, 2013

Micro dishes and maxi prices for very ordinary food. I had eaten the main dish before the side vegetables turned up. These were tempura green beans limp and cool. Surly waiters completed a dreadful experience!

2  Thank Richard B
Reviewed May 29, 2013

My wife and I arrived 5 minutes past 12 on a saturday for lunch and had to wait 10 minutes to be attended by the barman for a cocktail (which was pretty good btw). We felt like we just interrupted something, awkward. The customer experience started badly. The service remained average throughout the lunch experience with untrained staff (most of them French).
There is a feeling of stress or fatigue in this restaurant. The head waiter or maitre d'hotel is not at the level you would expect for a place like this. The food is good but nothing special.
Not a great experience, will not go back and certainly do not recommend it. Expensive for what it is.

1  Thank FraHK