“Delicious dinner”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Drawing on Joel Robuchon's internationally renowned culinary expertise, already accredited with several Michelin Stars at restaurants throughout the world, L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon's philosophy is based on serving simple cuisine of the most exceptional quality. This London restaurant has been awarded Michelin Star, as well as 3 AA Rosettes, establishing it as one of the most exceptional places to dine in London. Robuchon's menu delights the palate with clean insightful flavours and refreshingly understated presentation. The dishes are predominantly French with Italian and Spanish influences. The dining experience at L'Atelier is an interactive one. On the ground floor, the eating counter surrounds the entire kitchen where the food is prepared. Robuchon sees the immediate benefit of this Japanese-inspired layout to chefs, as one can gauge the reaction of clients, and even converse with them whilst they watch their food being prepared. Unlike the sister restaurants in Paris and Tokyo, the London restaurant also has another 20 seats where diners can sit opposite each other. Meanwhile, La Cuisine on the first floor offers more traditional restaurant seating in a setting that could be likened to dining in the kitchen itself. Wherever you are seated you will enjoy the highest quality food in an informal, convivial environment. Valet parking is also available. Please note, last reservations are taken half an hour prior to closing time. Dress code: Smart Casual, shorts are not permitted.
Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had a wonderful pre-theatre meal at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon. The first floor of the restaurant has bar-like seating and a few tables. Pre-theatre you have your choice of a special reasonably priced pre-theatre menu, the regular menu or a tapas menu. We had the pre-theatre menu and it was delicious. Every course was excellent, including the amuse bouche of foie gras and Parmesan foam and the delicious sweet at the end. We sat at the counter and the service was highly professional and it was so interesting to watch the chefs who were working in the middle of the bar-like area. The people next to us had three very ample tapas portions, foie gras, slider and fries, and langostines. Two would have been more than enough for me. I would highly recommend this restaurant.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,942)

Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

After visiting Robuchon London for the second time I opted for the open kitchen bar floor as the atmosphere was lacking last time and to be honest it want much better. Whilst the food and wine is undoubtedly excellent, it took half an hour to get a drink and our waiter although knowledgeable was pretty pompous! I wont be going again. A real shame as the food is so good!

Reviewed May 1, 2013

So close and yet so far. Wonderful food - I had an asparagus soup that was incredibly flavorful. But...the tables are reallyclosetogether, the walk up the unlit stairs to the bathroom is really scary and the service had some quirky lapses (drinks switched). The Joel Robuchon restaurant in Las Vegas is one of the best in the world. I wouldn't call this one of the best in London.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I have always wanted to come here and after dropping enough hints, my lovely husband surprised me with lunch here on my birthday. Firstly, the food is truly delicious and this is why I give this restaurant 3 stars. However, this is where the positives end. We are not new to michelin restaurants but the dining experience here is very different to others. In fairness, the relaxed dining style has the makings of wonderful experience. However, this was not properly managed and for me, I felt this was this restaurant's unravelling. Throughout our entire meal we were plagued by a group of noisy business diners who would meander over to our intimate and quiet area to answer business calls on mobiles. Personally, I feel that mobiles are an impropriety in places like michelin restaurants but I tolerate them if used subtly. In our case, we were constantly disturbed by these offenders. However, when we complained to our waiter, I was served a 'diversity' policy and told that the restaurant has a commitment to welcoming all kinds of guests-I must confess, applying a diversity/equality policy to mobile phone use is a new one on me!

Our next problem came when we were invited to take our dessert on the quiet outdoor roof terrace. Great-a chance to escape from the rowdy group of businessmen. Sadly, this was short lived. Not only did the group follow us up, they also then all took out laptops to hold a meeting and, worse, cigarettes! By this point we were gobsmacked that people could be so disrespectful to their fellow diners. Again, we complained but were politely told by the same waiter that the terrace was a smoking area and that we could move indoors if we were uncomfortable.

Given how expensive this restaurant is and the fact that it was a special occasion, it was disappointing that the service was so unhelpful and disinterested. How much of this is down to the more casual dining experience, I'm not sure but I won't be spending my money here again.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Returned to L'Atelier as we enjoyed it so much the last time. Rather than go into the food in great detail, here's what I enjoyed:

- Elegant surroundings: Even though you are sat at a casual bar setting, it is still elegant and enjoyable to watch the chefs prepare and plate the food
- Decor - I guess it is subjective but I think the decor is really cool and sets it apart from run-of-the-mill restaurants
- The menu is comprehensive, there is something for everyone
- Pre theatre menu is good value for a 2 Michelin star restaurant
- Veal cheek is one of the best main courses I've had - delicious
- Bar - 3rd floor cocktail bar is brilliant, Chilli Vodkatini and Espressotini's this time both outstanding
- Staff - Nice podium staff to welcome you and unpretentious waiters serving the food
- Bill - Again, taking into account this is a 2 Michelin Star establishment, 3 courses with wine for £58.00 is great value

I didn't enjoy the wine pairing as much this time as I did the last time, there wasn't enough variety in the wine albeit the red was very good, I ended up passing on the dessert wine pairing saving room for the Vodkatini's!

If you are in Theatreland and want an amazing Michelin Star experience for a fraction of the normal cost, I'd say there isn't anywhere better for pre-theatre dining.