“Very Disappointed”

Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Very Disappointed”
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I chose this restaurant as a birthday treat for my family. Having read rave reviews I thought it would be appropriate as French food is our preferred choice.

To start with we were placed at a very small table in the centre of an excessively heated
small room with speakers focused at the same point making it difficult to have a conversation. Diners and staff alike were squeezing past us the whole time making it feel very uncomfortable at having to lean and wiggle from side to side to let people through each time .

The food was A POOR EXCUSE FOR FRENCH CUSINE!! Cross the channel and eat in any one of the average bistros in Northern France and the cooking will surpass what we were served here. Pretty colours and droplets of puree do not make meal more appealing unless there is a high level of skill in handling the ingredients.

There was a very limited choice of desert so I opted for the cheese - wish I hadn't bothered I could have bought a better selection in the market.

I declined to pay the service charge because as far as I was concerned the whole experience was very disappointing and spoiled what should have been a happy event.

• Visited October 2013

London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful food, wine and service!”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

I have been living in Brixton for 3 years and have been waiting for an opportunity to try this place out and decided to book it for my boyfriend's birthday. I nearly cancelled the booking after reading some of the reviews below but I am SO glad I didn't!

We opted for the taster menu and despite previous comments, the portions were very generous and every course was brilliant. The wine was lovely too.

The service was great too, very attentive and informative. The hostess was lovely and she took a lot of time giving us recommendations of places to go out and eat in Paris when we go.

Overall, if you appreciate good food, good wine and great ambience then I would recommend Upstairs. We will definitely be back!

“Here goes”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

We almost cancelled the table of the basis that there have been some pretty savage reviews of late. However my girlfriend and I have lived in Brixton for 4 years and decided that if we don't go now (for my birthday) then we probably never will.

Thank god we ignored previous reviews, I thought it was fantastic. We were adamant that recent positive reviews were false and uploaded by the proprietors - if they were or now we will never know but our experience was superb.

We opted for the tasting menu, which was a sublime. Think it was £45ph for 2 starters, 2 mains, 2 desserts which I think was great value bearing in mind a la carte was £37 for three courses (albeit larger servings).

I won't go into each course but I thought the skill and balance of flavour on each plate was amongst the best I have had in London. Genuinely.

Basically, the service was functional, professional and inompressive. People who have complained before, remember that this is a French restaurant run by Frenchies, of course they won't tell you about their sister in laws brothers ex girlfriends new nephew. Also, in terms of small servings, it isn't Toby Carvery. Yes it is quite expensive but it is a small business and to make it work they probably have to charge that. You'd pay the same at Maze and Petrus for the same food yet you'd be paying the school fees of the children of a dirty faux Scottish tit in the process of dining in such an establishment.

Upstairs...we will be back (at some point)

London, United Kingdom
“Fabulous hidden restaurant in Brixton”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We went to upstairs for a meal with my partner and although I do not normally write reviews for restaurants, I thought this restaurant really merited one.
The cuisine was imaginative, refine and the wines excellent.
The atmosphere is relaxed and unpretentious, a fantastic place for a meal with friends or en tete a tete
The service was impeccable, discreet and the owners extremely welcoming.
Although the menu doesn't describe the dish completely (adding a bit of mystery and surprise), the waiter was at hand to explain exactly what all the ingredients were.
We will certainly be back and will recommend to friends, a hidden gem in Brixton!

1 Thank dom l
Maidstone, United Kingdom
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Very enjoyable, the pork was fantastic. Would highly recommend this place. I will definitely be coming back.