“Customer service and food has slipped”
Review of Upstairs Bar & Restaurant - CLOSED

Upstairs Bar & Restaurant
Cuisines: French
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We have dined at Upstairs many times since it opened. Our recent visit was disappointing sadly. The service is slow depsite the fact there appears to be sufficient staff to handle their max capacity. The food was fine but just not as good as it use to be - perfectly cooked lamb was somehow tough, foie gras just not quite right. We wanted dessert but it took so long for anyone to come back to our table that we just asked for the bill. I had left a message on the Monday for a Friday reservation, and not hearing anything chased them on the Thursday to be told they'd forgotten to call me. Luckily we got in (husband's birthday so potential disaster of nowehere to go on a Friday night in London!) I'm not saying we won't go back - but they do need to pull their socks up - with their price point they are currently punching above their weight for a 'local' restaurant.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We live 15 minutes from Upstairs and finally got round to visiting last night. The menu has 4 seasonal choices for both the starter and the main but I could have happily eaten most of the options! Service was very friendly and as we were seated at 9.30, the restaurant had started emptying out so we never had any issues attracting the attention of the waitress. The food was very well presented and perfectly cooked. I had a delicious combination of foie gras with apple, freshly baked brioche and crumbled popcorn for my starter and lamb with a red wine jus for my main. I will definitely recommend Upstairs to my foodie friends and will return when a new menu comes into place!

Reviewed April 14, 2013

It's the first time I had visited and the food is excellent quality that compares well with Chez Bruce, the much better known and highly rated South London restaurant. As others have said the restaurant is very small, but there is a good classy ambience in the main dining room. My only slight gripe would be that service was very slow on the evening we went (e.g. waiting 45 minutes for starter to be served after order had been taken)

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I took an old friend here for dinner tonight. Glorious.
We had quite possibly one of the best meals I can recall in London.
The Tasting menu was delicious, pungent and interesting: a cacophony of balanced and glorious foods. I wish I had the imagination to create these dishes. eg Mash that stood up and yet slipped off the knife, jelly parcels that exploded in our mouths, perfectly drizzled smears of sauce and a riot of desert tastes. Need I go on? Yes we paid, worth every penny.
Both serving staff were lovely (yes it's that small): a balance of descriptive essayists, whilst also mixing a welcoming, lovely, rich martini.
The decor is classy but not in-your-face. A tiny loo is cute but functional. Pressing a buzzer to get in -how 70's quaint. The venue is small, cosy (two real fires burned) and just top-of-the-shop. It's Brixton/Clapham borders so don't get excited about the views, but who cares, we stared at our plates.. and would have licled them clean at the smallest provocation.
Quite simply a glorious dinner destination. I have already booked more friends in to sample this destination dinner venue.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

Recently voted by restaurant reviewers as the equal best French cuisine restuarant in London for the price (equal with Gavroche which is much more expensive and better). They have a chef who has an excellent resume, not sure how they persuaded him to come to a small kitchen where there are probably only 15 tables but he has done a great job. See website.

Intimate, hard to find, excellent food and personal service adds up to an unique experience. The restaurant is the antithesis of so many other restaurants in Brixton making it a real go to destination, but its size, owners and quirkyness makes it also fit right into the area's revival.

Watching Acre Lane from the 2nd floor has never been so therapeutic!