“lovely 'olde pub”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: Traditional English Pub serving lunchtime Bar Snacks
Reviewed September 21, 2012

just a nice quite old worldy london pub, a good pint of London Pride in the back streets of st james!

Reviewed July 30, 2012

The Red Lion is in a historic place in a handy location near Parliament Square, where there aren't many options to eat well and drink a nice pint. I guess that's why they are still open! I was there a few weeks ago with my elderly parents to have something to eat and drink after walking around and visiting Westminster Abbey. It had been quite a walk for them and my dad had a swollen leg. So, we went upstairs to be seated in the Red Lion's dining room. We were very happy when we got there and saw that there wasn't a queue to be seated and there were free tables. However, we waited and waited by the door for somebody to call us for a table. Remember I was with two old people with walking sticks and with health conditions... They didn't seem to care, didn't rush and made us wait for more than half an hour! I can't really understand till now - nobody queueing and free tables!
Anyways, we were finally seated and were waiting for our food to be served when we witnessed a very unpleasant situation. A couple with two kids, who were seated right after us and had been waiting for ages too, ordered four dishes, but as the four dishes were starters/appetizers the waitress told them they could NOT eat there since they hadn't ordered a main dish and it was a dining room and not a pub! I couldn't believe my ears! HOW RUDE!!! They were forced to leave the place. We didn't stand up and leave because of my parents condition.
Despite those unfortunate facts, I have to say that the food was fantastic. Just perfect!
If you don't care about rude staff and terrible service, this is the place to eat incredibly well. But if you are like me, a person who hates rudeness, avoid the Red Lion.

Reviewed July 12, 2012

it is pretty tight in there but Charles Dickens used to hang out! Just a fun place to hang out

Reviewed December 27, 2011

After ending a tour and a ride on the London Eye, my wife and I walked across the Thames and were looking for a place to get something to eat. We discovered the Red Lion, quite by accident. It was certainly a lucky find! The food was excellent and the prices were very reasonable, for London. The restaurant is above the Pub and both are about 300 years old. It your near Parliament and want a great meal, this is the place to go.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

The Red Lion had great prices and a bigger selection (not huge) of beer than we had seen previously. It was quaint and very cozy.