“Wahaca @ South Bank”
Review of Wahaca Soho

Wahaca Soho
Ranked #657 of 22,509 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Along with the delicious Mexican street food dishes, muralled walls and laid back ambience, Wahaca Soho also boasts a huge range of quality tequilas, Mexican beers and freshly shaken cocktails in the downstairs Azulito bar, which is available for private hire. This is Wahaca's greenest restaurant yet with hoards of energy saving measures and an absolute zero landfill policy on all our waste.
London
“Wahaca @ South Bank”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

This summer Wahaca has a temporary restaurant + pop-up trailer at South Bank. South Bank during summer is always brimming with activity (e.g., the previous day I was loitering around the slow food market around the corner, which is definitely also worth going to).

We decided to go for a pork burrito and chicken taco. Particularly the pork burrito is delicious and the tacos (you get two) weren't bad either. However, if you are at South Bank you might as well try out some great pulled pork at another trailer pop-up restaurant, namely Pitt Cue & Co which is about 3 mins away under the Hungerford bridge (particularly their Big Ode burger, pulled pork + beef brisket + home made sausage is divine).

Read more of my reviews at: http://terencenahar.com/WorldPress/

• Korean first
  • Polish first
london
“Yes yes yes”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

Such delicious, authentic and reasonably priced food in this restaurant! I've been several times and the staff have always been especially attentive and friendly. I'm a big fan of getting lots of the smaller dishes and sharing (although this can be a bit more expensive overall), but the larger dishes are also excellent; I particularly enjoyed the cerviche salad, which is actually a proper meal - unlike most main course salads - whilst still being a lighter choice, and just as delicious as everything else.

The passionfruit Margharitas are also definitely worth a try...

• Visited July 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Dreadful! Appalling hygiene standards!”
Reviewed August 6, 2012 via mobile

Wahaca Southbank, London. Went to this restaurant twice in the past month, the first time was at the street stand and second time at the actual restaurant. On the first occasion as I came upon the stand, one of the chefs making the food was taking prepared cooked chicken out of the bowl with his gloved hand and then eating it! He then continued to make my burrito with the same gloved hand. Whilst making my burrito, he the leant over it to grab other ingredients, letting his dirty top fall in my food. He did this several times until the front of his top was covered with my burrito filling. I then told him to stop and forget my order as I certainly wasn't going to purchase food from him which had been contaminated. Aside from this the preparation surfaces were exteamly filthy.

On the second occasion I went to the restaurant hoping for improved service. This time the wait was over an hour long. Whilst waiting upstairs, I saw a sauce bottle top fall from the table upstairs to the ground floor. This top was then kicked across the floor, picked up and put in he trash. However, the upstairs waiter also saw this and ran downstairs and pulled the sauce top out of the trash and put it back on the sauce bottle! Needless to say, we left the restaurant. Two hygiene issues within a week does not instill me with any confidence! Will not try eating here again.

1 Thank Fimpsy
England
“Surprised by quick service”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We went here on Friday, having left the Olympic Park. Fully expecting a looong wait, we were really surprised (and relieved) at having to wait only 5 mins to be seated. Our server was very helpful, and made some good recommendations. Decided to go for the "tapas" style dishes, which didn't come all at once. This wasn't a bad thing as it meant we had time to enjoy each dish individually.

London
“Don't bother”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I've been to the Covent Garden and Wardour Street restaurants several times and have always enjoyed the food, with no complaints about the service either. So I was really looking forward to our first visit to the South Bank restaurant.

The person at the front desk said that there would be a half hour wait and gave us a buzzer, and we duly trotted up to the bar to have a beer and wait. After 50 minutes we realized that people who had arrived after us were being seated, and we weren't. So, we went to enquire. We were then hurredly seated by a fairly nonchalant waitress, and we ordered the Wahaca selection, and proceeded to wait for our food. What then ensued, was beyond belief. We were brought dishes that plainly weren't ours, and then when we questioned the waitress over a missing dish, we were eventually brought it but charged extra for the priviledge, when I checked the bill at the end. We had also ordered another 2 drinks but were then asked if we wanted coffee or desserts before they arrived.

The service was just appalling. I won't be going back to the South Bank location, and I'm now wondering whether to go back at all.