“Excellent all-round - highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Ravello

Ravello
Ranked #9,405 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
London
“Excellent all-round - highly recommended”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2012

I was recommended Ravello by a very good friend of mine who lives in New York and always makes a point of eating there everytime he is in London. I must say that Ravello is a true gem of a restaurant that I will be eating at a lot. The food is excellent, honestly, superb - I've been all over Italy so I know good Italian food and that is what Ravello serves. I am turning 50 in a month and have already booked my Birthday dinner there.

I am absolutely shocked at some of the reviews here, the postive ones are spot on but the negatives ones seem to me completely fictitious as I had nothing but the friendliest of service from the family who run the resturant and again, absolutely top-notch food. The same goes for my American friend who almost fell over when I told him what some of the reviews said. I think maybe Ravello was a little out of of these people's league who perhaps are more used to the cusine of Chef Boyardee and wouldn't know authentic Italian food if it slapped them in the face.

Sorry to go on but this kind of stuff aggravates me when a unique, hard-working and fantastic restaurant is so hard to find these days so when one like Ravello appears in your radar - take note! You will be very pleased!

Highly recommended!

• Visited June 2012

Bedford, United Kingdom
“Good family restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2012

We all enjoyed both the food and the atmosphere of this family run restaurant . Nothing was too much trouble . A real selection of pasta, fish and meat chosen by the people in the group and all enjoyed,
Wine was not too expensive and our bill came to just under £30 per head. We had some awkward people in our group but the waiter just said "no problem " with their unusual requests .
One to revisit .

• Visited May 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Dreadful food.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I'm not sure quite where to begin with this one, its by far and away the worst review I've ever had to post on here......

A group of 10 of us had booked here for a birthday meal on a Saturday night - On arrival the staff were very friendly and service pretty good - The menu is decent looking, a good selection of Italian classics, and some interesting specials.

Unfortunately the food was some of the worst I've had the misfortune to eat - Its probably the first time I remember ever being unable to eat/finish a meal in long long time.

A few examples:-
My starter of squid stuffed with tuna tasted like tuna mayonaise from a cheap supermarket sandwich wrapped in a tiny piece of rubbery squid.
Mozzarella and mushrooms on toast had to be sent back for being stone cold then reappeared with all the cheese missing from the top.
A (I think) seafood risotto was almost literally inedible and bore no resemblence to any risotto I'd ever seen before.
To quote a member of our party a tagliatelli with braised beef tasted like it had come from Iceland.

There are other examples I could give but I'm going to leave it at that.

Out of 10 people at the meal, 2 thought their food was 'OK' and finished their plates, out of the other 8 of us at least 50-75% of food was left untouched.

Had one or two of the meals been bad we might have just left it but given that almost all our food was so bad (and not cheap) we felt we had to complain. In fairness to the restaurant after some discussion (and argument) they knocked approximately 50 pounds off the bill.

What really struck us was that the staff we dealt with seemed genuinely shocked that we felt the food was so bad. It could be that we got the kitchen on an (very) off day and it's usually great - I don't know - It does seem to have a fair amount of good reviews on this site and others but the food we had was truly shocking.

I'm trying to think of something good to say about Ravello and given that it felt like a family run restaurant rather than some faceless corporate place I do feel kind of bad in writing this review, but I would hate for anyone else to have the experience we had.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank Alfie72
Porthleven, United Kingdom
“Hidden in North London lies an amazing Italian restaurant!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2011

I couldn't find Ravello at first (even if it's on Old Street), I thought about giving up but then I luckily finally saw it!

Fairly busy even if we arrived late on a Saturday night after the theatre, service was quick, the wine (a Chianti!) was fine and the food was tasty.

The owner had a chat with us after dinner and he is a nice bloke. I can recommend it!

• Visited February 2011
Durham, United Kingdom
“Little gem of an unpretentious restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2010

My wife and I ate here in October 2010, whilst staying along the road at the Crowne Plaza Shoreditch. We booked a table, late on a mid-week evening and I must admit I was a bit worried when we turned up as the only other people eating here were a party of 6, just about to finish coffee. I must say however, we were not disappointed. I ordered a simple lasagne main course and my wife had a grilled fish dish. Service was impeccable, food was simple but tasty and unpretentious. The bill, including wine, drinks and coffee came to just over £60 and the familly made us very welcome. I can thoroughly recommend Ravello.

1 Thank Tim M