“Terribly disappointing”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
“Terribly disappointing”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I used to go to El Vergel regularly when it was in its previous venue. It provided good value, delicious, different food. Today I went back after years to its new venue in Webber Street and found it terrible. The waitresses were mono syllabic, barely registering us at all. They took our order wrongly, gave us dishes we didn't order and forgot one too. The food was poor, nothing like I remember. It took ages to get the bill, which when it finally arrived was for a different table. Will never go back. What a shame that something so unique and wonderful has ended up like this.

“Try it!”
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

Lunch at El Vergel last week was a great experience! El Vergel is a quirky place, spacious and with a relaxing atmosphere. The service was very good and the food delicious! My favourite was churassco with avocado. crunchy, chilean style bread  with flavoursome thinly sliced steak, tomato and mashed avo. Their freshly made guacamole is the best I have ever tasted! I also tried cheese pie, meat pie and pastel de choclo. All very nice and surprisingly affordable. If you like fresh flavours, various textures and want to try south American food, I d' recommend to give El Vergel a try. One of my new favourite places, I cannot wait to go back!

London, United Kingdom
“Hidden gem - Chilean/European cafe/restaurant in Southwark”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

Good service. Nice decor. Tasty inventive menu. Excellent drinks range (hey, that fresh carrot juice was tiny though)

They have various brunch and lunch options, tortilla-based tapas style dishes and authentically Chilean specials like Pastel de Choclo. I guess you'd call it fusion food because it caters for the local office worker/residential crowd and they mix the cuisines, it's not just for Chileans wanting a taste of home (but I bet they get it!)

It's about ten minutes walk due south of Tate Modern, down Great Suffolk St, in a fairly quiet area, and doesn't seem to open in the evenings.

They do take away lunch too.

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Mike C
London
“Best choise in Southwark!”
Reviewed September 21, 2012

I'm really surprised about this place! Lovely staff, cosy atmosphere and really really tasty healthy food! Try the Latin American breakfast! It's a killer! The steak sandwich called "churrasco queso" is just addictive! Definitely a place where food lovers have to go.

“Quirky place!”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

Went here yesterday with a friend for lunch.. We sat outside in the hustle, bustle and breeze of Southwark Bridge Road which amused me to say the least! The food was very tasty but I don't know the Latin names unfortunately, however in layman's terms we ate seafood pancakes and steak sandwiches ( with fillings such as cheese, avocado etc) Very delicious to say the least! A portion of halva finished off the meal nicely which also included a cool bottle of white wine...We spent about £40 which was a lot in my mind after weighing up the amount of food we'd consumed but I'm guessing the wine was expensive..Would I go again? Not sure I would rush back but would definitely revisit if I was in the vicinity.....Just to add, the toilets were clean which is a good sign to me

• Visited July 2012