“Fantastic experience ”

Ottolenghi - Islington
Ranked #1,007 of 25,047 Restaurants in London
Reviewed September 14, 2017 via mobile

I have the book at home and this restaurant was on my wish list. My sister and her partner took me here for my birthday. I loved the food and atmosphere, we shared about 8 plates and had 2 cakes for desert. I would rate this as an overall excellent food experience and one I will be recommending to my friends. I would have no hesitation in returning

Write a ReviewReviews (1,243)

Reviewed September 13, 2017 via mobile

As a long time fan of Yotam and proud owner & user of his recipe books I finally came here for my birthday this evening. The food was exquisite! We shared the aubergine, seared beef & grilled veg counter plates & then the cod & the pork belly. I can't say which was my favourite dish because it was all amazing! Staff great too. Attentive but respectful of your privacy at the same time. Will be back!!

1  Thank Catherine L
Reviewed September 13, 2017 via mobile

This was a birthday treat for my husband and we were not disappointed.
Reservations are essential for the evenings, but they don't take them for lunchtimes.
There are a wide variety of cold salads to choose from and you get to see them on display plus you can choose hot dishes from the kitchen. It's like a middle Eastern tapas, but with slightly larger dishes than their Spanish counterparts. For two of us we had 3 cold dishes and 2 hot. We had broccoli with garlic and chilli -perfect. The broccoli was practically raw and seasoned to perfection, the garlic caramelising. We also had green beans, peas, capers and salsa verde, again dressed and seasoned to perfection.
I'm not a huge meat eater, but their beef and pork were amazing and so, so tender. The pork came with the most amazing mango purée and cashew nuts.
We had room for desserts of which the many sweet treats in the window will entice you.
£88 for 3 glasses of wine, 5 dishes and 2 desserts. A wonderful place for a treat.

Reviewed September 7, 2017 via mobile

This is a small place and mostly family style seating. Booking is necessary. Everything on the menu was tempting and sharing is encouraged. The vegetable dishes in particular were outstanding. The bread was so good that we took a loaf home. Highly recommended!

Reviewed September 3, 2017 via mobile

Upper street has a very nice vibe with cool restaurants and boutiques. Ottolenghi surprises you already from its windows, full of sublime desserts. We went for dinner with 2 friends. Personally I had a salad of grilled vegetables which was good but a bit spicy (I love it but my friends not and unfortunately we didn't know since it was not mentioned anywhere) and then hake with coconut sauce which was delicious. I would say it's not standard italian taste but more contemporary fusion with very good quality ingredients which makes the difference. The atmosphere and design is very pleasant. When booking specify if you would like a table alone or in sharing (there are some big long tables in the restaurant to share with other guests/ perhaps not for a special occasion.) the staff is nice and well trained in explaining the specific dishes. I will come back perhaps for lunch. We paid around 24 pound each (without wine, tap water only) which for the nice selection and quality of the dishes is very good, in London.