“Take away”

Ottolenghi - Islington
Reserve with OpenTable
Ottolenghi - Islington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #742 of 24,239 Restaurants in London
Reviewed August 10, 2014

After a wonderful meal in the restaurant, food perfect, service really good, I then bought some food for take away for 1 person.
The bill was £25 for just 2 salads,3 small slices beef,1 small filo parcel, a small tart & some
Biscuits. It was more expensive than our meal & we both had wine.
Having mentioned this to some local friends, they said they never have take away, as it always seems a 'rip off ' compared to the restaurant.
I will continue to use the Ottolenghi restaurants,& the cookery books as I love the food.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,207)

Reviewed August 8, 2014

Brilliant, fantastic food. Plenty of choices. Great atmosphere. Would eat here every night if I could.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

I visited Ottolenghi's with a few friends- the restaurant was cosy, busy and buzzing but pleasingly the acoustics were pretty good- so we could have a decent conversation.

The food was fantastic and we all enjoyed sharing our starters. I don't often go for a vegetarian main but my brilliant cauliflower was worth the meat sacrifice (that's actually quite good, sacrifice, get it?). Desserts were excellent, also.

The wine was great- my dining colleagues know more about the subject than me, but it was pretty drinkable stuff.

The staff were friendly and attentive and the meal was pretty good value - so a great evening, all in all.

Reviewed August 7, 2014

When I say that I live in Islington, the standard response is "oh, you MUST go to Ottolenghi's". I therefore went with high expectations... and was very disappointed.

The first thing to say - it's really not cheap. I checked the menu on the website before I went, but what they do not mention on their website is that they advice you to buy 3 dishes per person - I thought I was checking the price of one main course, not a third of one. I paid £50 for my meal, and I drank tap water the whole evening.

The second thing I didn't like is that they bring the cold dishes straight away, and then the hot dishes arrive 30 mins after, when they have been cooked. This means that you are likely to end up with all of your veg to eat first, and then all of your meat arriving some time after. I personally prefer to mix it up.

Thirdly, the atmosphere. Perhaps some people find it funky, but if I am paying that much for dinner, I would prefer not to be doing it sat at plastic seats, elbow-to-elbow on a large table with no breathing space between me and the friends I am with, and the parties on either side of us. It feels very much like they have squashed us all in as tightly as possible. Also, along a similar vein, don't expect to have the table for the whole evening. They will be keen to rush you in and out as fast as they possibly can. And although one of the side-effects to that is exceptional service for the waiting staff, if you were hoping for a long catch-up with friends, this is not the place for it.

And the food itself? Once I had stared at my salads for half an hour waiting for the main meal it was accompanying, it was nice. But not more than that. With the one notable exception which was the dessert, and that was to die for. So in the future, I shall be going to Ottolenghi's for coffee and cake in the afternoon, or not at all.

2  Thank EleanorH856
Reviewed August 4, 2014

after enjoying many home-cooked meals from Ottolenghi cookbooks and recipes, i was expecting something out of the box, but was disappointed. so my reaction reflects my expectations (important disclaimer).
the friendly waiter started by describing their approach, involving shared small dishes, selected from cold starters and hot dishes, and it was likened to tappas. we shared four of the starters and two of the hots. two of the starters were fabulous, one very good and one a bit ordinary. the hot dishes were both absolutely fantastic and reflected very creative use of ingredients. so the food was good. but after four starters we wanted a break, which we only got by sending the 'mains' back (which they happily did, but we both felt we were being rushed). the only desserts on offer were a selection of cakes - no doubt fine if you like cake, but this did not suit me. we passed on dessert. i was also disappointed with the wine list. perhaps i just chose poorly, or perhaps there was no wine on the list that matched what i said i wanted. the seating arrangement also would not suit everyone. we had a table for two against the wall, which was fine. but others were on a long table in the middle, with couples opposite each other but immediately adjacent to one or two other couples or groups.
overall, not a very satisfying dining experience.