“Great Eats with Great Treats”

Ottolenghi - Islington
Reserve with OpenTable
Ottolenghi - Islington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #347 of 22,659 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“Great Eats with Great Treats”
Reviewed January 20, 2014 via mobile

Being our second visit to Ottolenghi, we knew that the food would be superb. However previously it had only been the two of us for brunch, and this was a large dinner group, with small children for an added challenge. However, any apprehension we'd had before we got there quickly evaporated as we sat down. Almost everyone was late but the staff were unflustered and didn't rush us even though we were supposed to only have the table for a limited period. Assuming that we'd need to order from a set menu, I was pleasantly surprised when this turned out not to be the case, so that everyone got to order something they actually wanted. Wine suggested by our waiter was very agreeable, and led to us agreeing to another bottle after the bottom of each one was reached. For 'casual fine dining' it was refreshingly unpretentious and as an added bonus was not as expensive as we were expecting. A memorable night that was made effortless by the excellent staff, the only difficulty we had was deciding which of their desserts to have from their diabolical display at the front.

• Visited December 2013

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
“Of Course the Vegetable Platters are Gorgeous, But Be Sure”
Reviewed January 15, 2014

to save room for dessert (or take a box of them home). I had heard much about the orchestral salads, but was delighted to find an equally creative array of desserts, and as with the savory choices, seldom seen elsewhere. The communal table was fun, the service warm and witty, the orange wine challenging as advertised (do taste first) and the flavors, of course, inimitably Ottolenghi. The only reason I cannot rate this a 5 is for the use of truffle oil in the broccolini and courgette salad… Synthetic oil mars such regal compositions. I don't think it has a place in such otherwise thoughtful, celebratory food.

Ethiopia
“fantastic food”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Our younger daughter and her boyfriend gave us a voucher last year for our birthdays and we decided to share this experience with our older daughter and her boyfriend and as we will all be away in different places for the next few months could only get a reservation at 9pm on Tuesday evening.....tad late but enjoyed the food anyhoo. The menu was extensive and loved the idea of sharing plates.....English version of tapas.

We tried the yellow fin tuna with sesame seeds which melted in your mouth, seared duck with truffle oil which was so delicious, octopus which was a little too sweet for me but others enjoyed, the beef, duck egg, quince salad, courgette salad and the lamb chops which were so delicious we had to have three plates.

We shared the long table down the middle of the restaurant with other diners and had no qualms about this, but also noticed there was no background music and no other noise so communicating across the table was fine without having to shout unlike Nopi where the food was great but it was very noisy.

Would love to return here and try more of the food.

London, United Kingdom
“Trepidation totally unfounded - it was amazing!”
Reviewed January 12, 2014

I admit my first thought on hearing we were visiting Ottolenghi was along the lines of 'but I hate couscous'. I could not have been more wrong - wow, what a menu.
We ate the beetroot salad, green bean salad, duck egg, sea bass and curry potato parcels and they were all delicious and so fresh. Our waiter was incredibly friendly and helpful and just the right balance of attentive. He recommended the Orange Wine which my partner had and said was unusual and enjoyable.
The desserts were delicious too - always save 'space' for a dessert there.
We had reserved a table and were looked after promptly as we were going on to the theatre.
Highly recommended.

London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Desserts”
Reviewed January 10, 2014

Living just around the corner I pick up food here a few times a week and it’s amazing. The desserts are to die for and they mix it up enough to keep it interesting. Service is great apart from one Australia Waitress who clearly thinks she is above her role or the people she serves. At first I thought I was being a bit sensitive and the other wait staff was so great and she was comparatively average but I’ve spoken to a few friends and neighbors who have also found her quite difficult and abrasive hence this post, i.e. She tends to roll her eyes a lot and has a ghastly look of frustration when you ask her a question. Apart from that I cannot flaw anything else. I’ve even got the cook books so maybe I can avoid dealing with her in the future.