“Couldn't wait to go and it didn't dissappoint” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ottolenghi - Islington

Ottolenghi - Islington
Reserve with OpenTable
Ottolenghi - Islington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #357 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Godalming, United Kingdom
“Couldn't wait to go and it didn't dissappoint”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2013

30 years ago as a student I lived in Upper Street so I was looking forward to seeing how the area had changed. Also looking forward to eating at Ottolenghis as I adore his book Plenty.

No longer down at heel over the years Islington has become chichi. Ottolenghis is small: long and narrow with a communal main table. Informal but stylish and modern interior.

Waiters are attentive attractive - many seemed to sport the house style long hair in a top knot, rather charming. Our waiter explained the sharing dishes well for us and was helpful although admitted he's not had time to do his hair that evening.

The Middle Eastern/Western twist small plates were delightful we had vegetarian and fish. Without exception all surprising and delicious. Exceptional food and I'd love to go again.

My friend took a photo of me outside my old flat which had a to let sign. Couldn't resist checking out the advertised rent on line......£1500 pw. So no longer in the student price range. 30 years on Islington is smarter and more sophisticated and I suppose so am I.

• Visited December 2013

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Melbourne, Australia
“Fabulous food and great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2013

I loved the atmosphere at this very modern upbeat eatery in a very trendy part of London. As I was eating by myself I was seated at the large communal table that runs down the centre of the restaurant.
As a vegeterian the food selection was interesting and offered many choices and the choice of sweets was also fantastic. Enjoyed it so much I ate there twice during my stay.

• Visited September 2013
London, UK
“Disappointing and overpriced”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

After many recommendations, my partner and I decided to try this "legendary" restaurant. We were disappointed overall. The food, although well presented and unique, had far too many flavours in each dish which overpowered the overall theme I think the chef was trying to create. Small portions for the overpriced menu and the seating is crammed to fit as many people into the small restaurant as possible. Nice wine list and desserts though. Won't be returning.

• Visited November 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tj800
Sydney, Australia
“Highly recommend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed my whole meal. I had the salads combo, plus the bread selection. Then a cupcake for dessert. The wait staff were very friendly and attentive and chatty which was nice as I was on my own. I love my Ottellingi cookbooks so was very excited for this visit and it did not disappoint. I took a bag of meringues home to my friend who I was staying with in London and I have to they were AMAZING!

London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food small portions.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

The food and flavour combinations are excellent.

We were told that 4-6 dishes would be enough for us do we ordered 5. Neither of us are big eaters but both were hungry after and had to order two more dishes and desert to be full.

The service was a little aloof for my tastes but generally quite attentive and friendly.

Overall it was a good experience for a special treat and is excellent for pescatarian and vegetarians.