“modern middle eastern food”

Ottolenghi - Islington
Reserve with OpenTable
Ottolenghi - Islington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #346 of 23,571 Restaurants in London
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My wife loves Ottolenghi's recipes so we took advantage of being in London to visit his main operation in Islington. We were not disappointed. The atmosphere was buzzing as we took our seats at the communal tables and had the process explained to us. We ordered 9 dishes between 3 of us (as advised) and the amount was perfect. They are all mid sized sharing plates with the emphasis on vegetarian food. All were very good, our favourite was the aubergine and the Halloumi. The breads and dips were excellent and service was good. The drinks list was varied and not too expensive.
If you like this type of food and informal dining this is an excellent place to visit, but you need to book; since his rise to fame it has become very popular.
It wasn't cheap, but you are paying for the experience and name as well. Overall enjoyable and worthwhile and will probably go again when in London.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Never fails to impress. Go for the Shakshuka if you're there for breakfast! The queues can be long, so arrive early to get a spot. Thankfully the lovely staff often take orders for coffee, or offer water while you wait.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Good food but an uncomfortable dining experience at a hugely inflated price!
Really hard to get a table so arrive early(12:00) as there is no booking, getr squeezed into two seats at a communal table with little space and no privacy.s

2  Thank Keith G
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I'll be honest, the veg-heavy concept is really not something I'd go for. I need a bit of animal protein in my meal for it to really satisy me, so despite its reputation, I've always been a bit apprehensive about visiting.

Eventually though, last week, I finally took the plunge, and boy am I glad I did. All of the dishes were so fresh and interesting, flavours I've never tried on their own, and combinations I'd never heard of. We had 9-10 dishes, between 4, and though I'd have skipped over some of these if it were all up to me, we didn't have a single thing that I didn't love. Big highlights for me were the Scallops, and the tea-smoked lamb cutlets (yes, meat!) were probably the tenderest, most flavorsome I've ever had.

The wine list was equally 'off the beaten track', and we enjoyed a full-bodied, rich Hungarian Kekfrankos (Blaufrankish).

Desert also beautiful - but not the largest (so I had to have two!).

It's taken me too long to visit, but it won't be too much time before I go back.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Ottolenghi has been on my list for sometime. Since having a few of Yotam's cookbooks I've been meaning to taste the food at his restaurant in Islington. On my most recent visit to London I had the opportunity to have lunch there. I already knew the place was small and had communal tables (with a few 2 tops); not really an issue for me. Upon entering there was a table with all the wonderful salads for the day nicely presented. Fresh bread and other bake goods were also on display. I was seated right away at a communal table where the toasters (a unique touch) from breakfast we just being removed. The lunch menu was not overly complicated and fussy; choice of all salads or main course and salads. I selected the two salads and a main course; grilled broccoli, garlic & chili and roasted new potatoes, leeks, herbs then a main of seared English beef filet. The portion size for just right and everything was very tasty with the beef cooked to a perfect temperature. I accompanied my meal with a glass of Bordeaux.

I found the staff accommodating with an appropriate amount attentiveness. I thought the price was reasonable for a good lunch meal in London. My lunch at Ottolenghi was enjoyable.