“My favourite local restaurant. Consistently great.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ottolenghi - Islington

Ottolenghi - Islington
Reserve with OpenTable
Ottolenghi - Islington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #356 of 22,202 Restaurants in London
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, United Kingdom
“My favourite local restaurant. Consistently great.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Never fails to impress. Go for the Shakshuka if you're there for breakfast! The queues can be long, so arrive early to get a spot. Thankfully the lovely staff often take orders for coffee, or offer water while you wait.

Visited September 2013

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
“Gentlemen that lunch”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

Good food but an uncomfortable dining experience at a hugely inflated price!
Really hard to get a table so arrive early(12:00) as there is no booking, getr squeezed into two seats at a communal table with little space and no privacy.s

Visited September 2013
2 Thank Keith G
“Unexpectedly Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I'll be honest, the veg-heavy concept is really not something I'd go for. I need a bit of animal protein in my meal for it to really satisy me, so despite its reputation, I've always been a bit apprehensive about visiting.

Eventually though, last week, I finally took the plunge, and boy am I glad I did. All of the dishes were so fresh and interesting, flavours I've never tried on their own, and combinations I'd never heard of. We had 9-10 dishes, between 4, and though I'd have skipped over some of these if it were all up to me, we didn't have a single thing that I didn't love. Big highlights for me were the Scallops, and the tea-smoked lamb cutlets (yes, meat!) were probably the tenderest, most flavorsome I've ever had.

The wine list was equally 'off the beaten track', and we enjoyed a full-bodied, rich Hungarian Kekfrankos (Blaufrankish).

Desert also beautiful - but not the largest (so I had to have two!).

It's taken me too long to visit, but it won't be too much time before I go back.

• Visited October 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Lunch - Just Right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013

Ottolenghi has been on my list for sometime. Since having a few of Yotam's cookbooks I've been meaning to taste the food at his restaurant in Islington. On my most recent visit to London I had the opportunity to have lunch there. I already knew the place was small and had communal tables (with a few 2 tops); not really an issue for me. Upon entering there was a table with all the wonderful salads for the day nicely presented. Fresh bread and other bake goods were also on display. I was seated right away at a communal table where the toasters (a unique touch) from breakfast we just being removed. The lunch menu was not overly complicated and fussy; choice of all salads or main course and salads. I selected the two salads and a main course; grilled broccoli, garlic & chili and roasted new potatoes, leeks, herbs then a main of seared English beef filet. The portion size for just right and everything was very tasty with the beef cooked to a perfect temperature. I accompanied my meal with a glass of Bordeaux.

I found the staff accommodating with an appropriate amount attentiveness. I thought the price was reasonable for a good lunch meal in London. My lunch at Ottolenghi was enjoyable.

• Visited October 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Melbourne, Australia
“Don't follow big reputations”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

It should be a rule, big reputations require wariness. The staff are tense, too eager to do something right. Bad sign. Not relaxed. Too forced. The tables, squishy and sharing's not fun. The food, I expect a lot more for the price. One of the salads with beetroot was tasty, but I wanted to lick the plate clean. The pork belly was oh, dear, warmed up again. Probably by microwave, the unmistakable essence of reckless consideration of your customer. And that was enough for me, I couldn't wait to go. Dear dear. What a shame, Mr Ottolenghi seems so nice on the telly.

• Visited September 2013