“Disappointing”

Ottolenghi - Islington
Reserve with OpenTable
Ottolenghi - Islington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #338 of 23,381 Restaurants in London
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Good food, very mixed service, very uncomfortable chairs. Difficult to relax and enjoy the meal sitting on chairs that were clearly chosen for appearance not function.

Reviewed October 11, 2013

We loved Ottolenghi Islington and often come here for breakfast or lunch! The wait is always worth it as the food is fresh, healthy and very tasty. The wait staff always attentive and the service is usually quick once you sit down at the table. I love all the fresh salads and Shahshuka eggs (from breakfast menu). They also serve Camden Lager beer and nice selection of wines by the glass. Overall, I highly recommend this place and it should be on everyone's list in London.

Reviewed October 10, 2013

Ottolenghi's establishments represent a philosophy, this us not fine dining or a place to have an intimate dinner, go for the excellence of the produce, the exquisite combinations of textures and flavours and thank goodness Yatam does what he does and makes it so easy to share

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Dined here after hearing about this restaurant from friends. The eatery is along a street full on interesting restaurants but whilst the signboard is understated, the window display of desserts and starters was enticing. Portions are not large for mains but each was unique in flavour and uniformly delicious. I had the scallops and sampled the lamb. The augergine starter was also excellent.Prices were not cheap considering the portions, but I would cone back if in the UK.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Ottolenghi is just so fabulous that it's no wonder it's so difficult to get in. What I did was go to brunch. If you hit it just right, you can be offered both the breakfast and the lunch menus. Breakfast can be simple, various breads with the toaster right on the table (first time I ever had focaccia that wasn't a leaden lump so need I say I'm from the US?) Can also have fruit salad, yogurt or, my favorite, Shakshuka, which is a N African dish. The eggs were so so tasty, again unlike what we are offered in the states--plump, vividly orange and oh so fresh. I can't speak to the drinks because I only drink latte at this time of day and they were just perfect.

Lunches vary but quite a few appealing choices. When I was there, I could have roasted aubergine with saffron yoghurt, hazelnuts, pomegranate seeds and mixed basil. How about maftoul and mograbieh with bitter leaves, grilled peaches, apricots and nuts, Gorgonzola, and mixed herbs. Or how about salads based on char-grilled broccoli, or green and yellow beans, or roasted new potatoes. I'm telling you, just writing this makes my mouth long to be back there. The lunch main courses range from seared fillet of beef to chickpea cake with olives, grilled peppers, baby artichoke, capers, parsley and pumpkin seeds to quiches with smoked bacon or spinach.

The service was perfect, not too much attention, not too little. Both two-top tables and long communal tables fill this little restaurant. As a solo diner, I've eaten at both and felt comfortable at both. The light filled room with its inviting ambiance, lovingly prepared fresh food had me wishing I could get in a few more visits before having to return home.

The day's selections are also available for take away and if I can figure out how to upload my photos I will post them. Everything looks as appealing as it tastes! I can hardly wait to return. And trust me, I never had to wait to get seated by choosing the perfect arrival time!

2  Thank AdventureRUs