“Great food, reasonable price”

Ottolenghi - Islington
Reserve with OpenTable
Ottolenghi - Islington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #347 of 22,659 Restaurants in London
Toronto
“Great food, reasonable price”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The lunch format is fun, choose from a selection of mains and appetizers, and the food comes up quickly. Fresh ingredients, interesting combinations as you'd expect from Ottolenghi, served by friendly staff. The seating is for the most part at communal tables, and the style and ambiance fits well with this section of Islington. The pricing is reasonable, and the wines are well priced for a large glass.

No reservations for lunch so go early or take a later lunch which we did, and save room for dessert.....

• Visited June 2013

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Johannesburg South Africa
“Heaven on Earth”
Reviewed June 13, 2013

One of my special places to eat in London. Ottolenghi just got it right,
the staff are excellent, helpful and friendly, the food sublime and fresh and the wine choices fantastic. The setting is so pleasant and comforting in a warm and not overdone way. But both Yotam and Sami have an amazing place where friends can meet and enjoy the nicest food.

Visited May 2013
Belfast, United Kingdom
“5 stars to the staff”
Reviewed June 12, 2013 via mobile

staff filled with knowledge about the flavours contained in both the food and wine menus! great evening, great food, great atmosphere.
The downsides, 1. if you want a table for two, mention this when booking otherwise you maybe seated at a shared bench, where you sit closer to strangers than your companion. 2. I have bought ottolenghis cook books and what an array of recipes! However the menu in the restaurant was small maybe 14 items max, half cold dishes, half hot. the cold items although delicious where preprepared..... but the tuna was outstanding.
That aside every dish we ordered was a delight. The wine was super, an organic Hungarian red....Wow!
I would go back in a heartbeat!

Visited May 2013
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Cannot wait to go again”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I have recently fallen in love with Yotam Ottolenghi's blend of Israeli/Lebanese/...etc. cuisine (a friend bought me a couple of his books and I tried out a few recipes) and I was thus really looking forward to our visit. Three of us went there for a birthday meal and Ottolenghi served up exactly what we'd hoped for - and more. The desserts heaped up in the window already looked inviting, even before we entered and got to experience the buzz, the smells, the colours and the flavours served up by the restaurant, all very appealing. The food was excellent, the staff friendly in a relaxed, familiar sort of way (no sense of the stiff, artificial politeness you get from waiters in other places, behind which you always suspect a hint of resentment). If I was pressed for one criticism I would say that the place is a little crammed, but hey, it's London, I wasn't really expecting much more. I would warmly recommend this place to anyone.

• Visited May 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“At long last ...”
Reviewed June 11, 2013

I am a great fan of the Ottolenghi cookery books and have waited to eat here for many years. It was all and more than I had hoped it would be. My only disappointment is that the restaurant cooks all these dishes so much better than I do! Every mouthful was delicious and the service efficient and gracious. I will not visit London again without going to this exceptional restaurant. You can't book for lunch but the (shared) tables turn quite quickly - get there by 12 noon to be assured of a quick seating.

• Visited June 2013