“What a disappointment!”

Ottolenghi - Islington
Reserve with OpenTable
Ottolenghi - Islington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #796 of 24,426 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Having watched the TV prog, visited the website and followed the blog this was the restaurant I most wanted to visit on my trip to London for a meal, a cookbook and some goodies from the shop. I accepted that visiting on a Sunday afternoon only the cold meat and salad was available but my chicken portion was small, hard, dry and lacked flavour. Others chose the roast beef which was delicious and the salmon which was okay. One of my accompanying salads was over bulked with red cabbage masking the other veg and flavours although the other cauliflower salad was better balanced and full of delightful tastes. Other salads also received mixed reviews. For the dessert choice we were sent to the front of shop to choose from the window display...as this was a very crowded area we had to compete for space with other diners, takeaway shoppers and waiters...no list was available to describe ingredients or remind us of names for when we returned to table...my orange and almond cake was pleasant but a bit dry and lacked the flavours I have enjoyed on holidays. The final problem was the tea...put in a pot with too much water it was weak and flavourless....the coffee was better but not memorable. Overall, if I had stopped at a cafe for a cold snack on a Sunday afternoon and paid £10.00 this would have been fine...But this was Ottolenghi and I expected a flavour experience...and friendly service but we received neither. Although 7 of us also had bread, 4 alcoholic drinks, 3 soft drinks and water, I felt £210.00 was a lot of money for a cold picnic and some drinks. I didn't bother with my cookbook or goodies...I'll stick with Moro!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,214)

Reviewed May 26, 2013

We own all of his cookbooks and so we had high expectations going in to the restaurant. It did not disappoint. The restaurant is casual and moderately priced but the food is exquisite. The small plate menu consists of two parts, cold appetizers and cooked to order main dishes. Go with a group and order the whole menu.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Second time here. Menu changed since last time, so no cheese souffle. Never mind, everything the six of us ate was excellent. Very pro service. Nice relaxed ambience. Roast Aubergine, Chorizo stuffed squid, Beetroot salad, Tofu, Chili Chocolate grilled quail(very nice). They just brought the dishes out in two courses. Cold ones first, and then a relaxed time later the hot. No hassles, just a lovely relaxing dinner with family. Lovely. No negatives.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

The food is absolutely wonderful! The restaurant is attractive and "cool" looking, but we didn't really care for the communal seating. Didn't feel special enough. But the staff was really nice and friendly. They recommend sharing a bunch of different things. There were four of us so we tried eight. Which was good for the first time, but with food this delicious, we all felt we would have liked to really savor perhaps two things. The desserts were really good too! All in all a really positive experience -- I'll go back next time I'm in London.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Just loved it. Seated quite quickly. Service excellent. Food exceptional. What's not to love. Wanted to buy some take away cake when we left but couldn't get near the counter to get served. Shame. Just means we'll be back soon.