“Amazing food!”

Ottolenghi - Islington
Reserve with OpenTable
Ottolenghi - Islington is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #319 of 23,995 Restaurants in London
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Absolutely love this place. The food is fresh and SO tasty! A lovely concept that you can see the various salads and mains on display before you order. Deserts were sublime (flour less chocolate cake and rhubarb and ginger cheesecake). The only downside is the waiting time for a table-you can't book and we had to queue for about 45 mins, but it was well worth it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,192)

Reviewed February 17, 2013

I have read the book, seen the TV series but I finally went there for lunch. I am trying to eat healthy for health, not for a fad, so I arranged to meet a veggie for lunch on Sunday. First you can only book for dinner, so we queued for 30 minutes. The staff gave clear time and we could have refreshments while we waited. The tables are white and small, I had four salads my friend had quinoa burgers and two salads, we had water teas / coffees only. The salads were colourful, fresh, complex and tasty. Jerusalem artichokes are not bland. They are delicious, eggplants and pomegranates are a taste sensation, no worries about quality one provenance in food this fresh. My quibble burgers should be hot, the cornbread is moist, flavoursome and morish, frankly as a cook great carnivore dishes are easier than creating vegetarian food that is this satisfying. The brunch dishes looked interesting. It is arty, it's not cheap but then neither is the food or the service, you do get what you pay for! By the way have the rhubarb cheesecake, a little bit of taste heaven. Forget the teas, they need improving.

1  Thank Hatepacking
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Such a fab cafe & funny thing before we ate there we did not know how well known this place was!
The food is just so yummy and the window displays are amazing! Also their latest cookbook Jerusalum is incredible! Just so wish they were here in NZ but the cookbook is helping with the withdrawls only pity is we cannot get Luscombes hot & spicy ginger beer here as had it at ottolenghis & the best ginger beer in the world!!! We love you Otolenghi's!!

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We ate here because my husband is a fan of Ottolenghi, so he traeted me for an early Valentine's Day treat. However the portions are tiny ( served on tea plates) and although I tried really hard to do so, I just couldn't see what was so special about the food. It tasted very unexciting, although from the menu it sounds as though it should be really interesting. The staff were good and polite, and our wine, although one of the cheaper ones, was excellent. The desserts, although also a bit pricey were better value. To be honest I would prefer Brasserie Blanc any day, where the food is far more delicious and much better value,

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Good quality food, but oh-aren't-we-smart-and-fashionable? A long white plastic table with plastic chairs dominates the main restaurant, which 20 diners or so share and avoid eye contact with each other. Tables for two - small and narrow - are ranged along the right hand side. Cheap to run, as no linen to launder. Cold starters around £9-£10 each, which can be served before 6 p.m., when the kitchen opens to serve dinner. All plates, meat and fish, at around £11 each, and waiter advised us to have about three/four for starters and share four for main course. He was about right. Wine bottles in the £22 plus mark, glasses around £7/£8. Total bill for two, £98, plus tip, before walking across road the Almeida Theatre and a 7.30 p.m. start. An antiseptic experience. Something lost in the atmosphere. No jollity or buzz. Perhaps we missed something.

1  Thank layaboutEngland_