“Beware the "spring greens"!!”

Amphitheatre Restaurant
Ranked #4,520 of 23,391 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Reviewed April 13, 2013

We decided to eat here prior to the ROH performance on 8 Apri, mostly for the convenience - we won't be doing so again. Food was OK but:
1.Tables too close together so that we could hear more of the conversation from neighbouring table than from across the table;
2. Service was indifferent - perhaps too many tables being looked after per wait person;
3. We chose to order spring greens (4.50 pounds) to accompany our mains - what we received was a small bowl - perhaps a cupful - of cabbage - when we complained, management was obviously so embarrassed about it that they also took the charge for this item off our neighbours account!
4. Too hot - even in my shirtsleeves the perspiration was dripping off my forehead.

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Mediocre service,mediocre food. We were almost the only guests at lunchtime. One of the other party arrived after the rest of us had ordered. The maitre/waitress handed her the menus and then vanished. After five minutes I went off in search and found her chatting to another employee. We ordered fish and chips. The chips were fine, the batter on the fish was soggy. The latecomer ordered ham hocks. Bland. This restaurant is not matching the rest of the Royal Opera House.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had to pre book our food selection from a very poor selection. It was a freezing cold night and the only hot starter was artichoke soup, not a favourite, but it warmed me up and was quite good. My husband had the venison and Beetroot salad and frankly, among the over large garnish of watercress, the main attraction of the dish hardly made an appearance. The portion was bordering on the ridiculous.

My main course of smoked salmon was salty and my husband's beef was ok. The only sides on offer were carrots and mashed potatoes, both of which were served warm and when we made a comment, their reply was "that is the way we serve them".

The atmosphere in the conservatory was cold and unwelcoming and we really didn't enjoy the meal or the experience.

Very expensive for what it was and poor value.

2  Thank CORDELIA P
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Prior to La Boheme we had a nice dinner. A service was first class, nice to see most people actually dressed up to eat here. My first course, crab terrine, very nice, my main beef Wellington, that was great, nice big piece, beef cooked to perfection. My partners starter had a brick for a Bellini , he could not eat if. His main was fish, he was happy with.

Very disappointed with the cheese, three small thin slices, not worth the money at all.

On the whole, a nice meal but would eat outside the venue next time.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

My wife took me here for lunch as a birthday suprise and it didn't disappoint. The restaurant itself is set in a fabulous location (on the top floor of the ROH), with staff being attentive without being overbearing. We arrived at 12.30pm just at the start of an afternoon performance of the Bohemian, so initially we were the just about the only couple eating in the restaurant but it was apparent others had been eating; either having just eaten their starter or main and had now gone on to watch the show, with their drinks etc left in place. However, before the next interval all these tables had been cleaned and reset, with drinks refreshed ready for their next course.
During the interval the restaurant soon filled, with customers returning to their starters, mains or desserts. I also noticed that cold dishes were set out shortly before the start of the interval, whilst hot food was served immediately on the arrival of the respective diners. Overall, a well oiled and coordinated machine, with all the staff knowing what they were doing.

We went for a starter, mains and dessert and would class the food as fine dining and a joy to eat and savour. I noticed the mains costing between £10 and £20, which bearing in mind location, service and quality of food I consider extremely good value for money. How many other restaurants could offer such value right in the heart of London?

Heartily recommended (particularly if the wife is paying...).

Ps I also noticed we could have dined outside, enjoying the fine sights of London (Covent Garden), but was a tad too cold for alfresco dining on the first Saturday of March.