“Worth a visit” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wolseley

The Wolseley
Reserve with OpenTable
The Wolseley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #462 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: The Wolseley offers several menus in the Grand Café tradition including breakfast, morning pastries, afternoon tea, and an all day menu with sandwiches, salads, crustacea and plats du jour. We are open seven days a week.
London, United Kingdom
“Worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Visited this Mayfair restaurant for the fourth time today and again the service was first class. The atmosphere is pleasant and the surroundings nice.
The only negatives I could find were the fries were not hot and were hard and maybe its time for some new items to be added to the menu.

• Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Dont come here for a romantic evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We had no idea what to expect other than the recommendations of the late and great Michael Winner. And what a surprise!

The place is reminiscent of an Egyptian Temple and Roman Amptheater

However, despite the numbers dining our table was well placed and well spaced. Front of house very efficient, we booked at 8.30 and at 8.30 on the dot we were invited to our table. Waiter/waitress service excellent and personable without being toadying. Food good although I was a little surprised at the way my Lemon Sole was presented.

A very pleasant evening except for the noise level which was almost unbearable. As the Queen said about Silvio Berlesconi at a recent Heads of Government dinner 'Why does he have to be so loud???????' and so it was for our visit.

Why do people have to be so boorish? I despair!

Didn't spot any 'celebs' but at least they had the opportunity to observe me and my lovely wife.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Switzerland
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013 via mobile

Formerly a car showroom for a now unknown make of car.

The restaurant is attractive but it has never been as good as the restaurants formerly owned by Jeremy Corbin The Ivy Caprice etc. Not my first choice but not a bad one either. Leather chairs don't allow one to sit comfortably, always seem to slide off.

London, United Kingdom
“Great quality food, shame about the service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

Went to the Wolseley for breakfast on Sunday, needless to say I was quite excited about this as I have been meaning to go for some time.

My wife and I made it to the restaurant in good time (10.40) unfortunately,they were full. I wasn't too annoyed by this, as without booking, you do always run the chance of not being able to get a seat. A rather curt (could be argued as being rude) lady told us the wait would be from 40-60 mins, and that we would then be seated for a lunchtime seating with the lunch menu. My wife and I accepted this, and then we waited while the lade went to fetch her clipboard to sign us up.

What really annoyed me was that another couple walked in with no booking and another hostess seated them straight away, right in front of us!!!

After speaking to a gentleman at the front, we explained the situation that just happened and as if by magic he managed to find us a table which was not occupied, but with the proviso that we had to be out of our seats in 1 hr.

I am not one to create a fuss, but it seemed that we were screened by the hostess and deemed not worthy to dine in the restaurant.

So to the food itself - This was great, the quality was good and the fresh pastries were delicious. We did manage to eat within the hour, but it did feel rushed, especially when service is slow.

We had to ask our waitress for condiments twice before they were brought, food came quickly, but coffee and tea took an age!

We went for the experience, which on reflection was appalling (based on the service) but the food and ambiance were good.

Would I go again, probably not, Balthazar has recently opened and that looks way more appealing!!!!

Lastly - I wonder what the restaurant would do if I was still eating after the one hour table time had elapsed - who knows, I sort of feel like I should have eaten alot more slowly to find out!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Dhalv
fashionflyer1
“Beautiful breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2013

The Wolseley is a great place for a business breakfast. The atmosphere is always buzzing and you're sure to spot a celeb or two if you're so inclined. Here they really know how to do breakfast and the service is slick without being too pushy. On my last visit I had their croque monsieur which is deliciously decadent and very naughty.

• Visited August 2013