“Great quality food, shame about the service”
Review of The Wolseley

The Wolseley
Reserve with OpenTable
The Wolseley is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #460 of 22,808 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: The Wolseley offers several menus in the Grand Café tradition including breakfast, morning pastries, afternoon tea, and an all day menu with sandwiches, salads, crustacea and plats du jour. We are open seven days a week.
London, United Kingdom
“Great quality food, shame about the service”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

Went to the Wolseley for breakfast on Sunday, needless to say I was quite excited about this as I have been meaning to go for some time.

My wife and I made it to the restaurant in good time (10.40) unfortunately,they were full. I wasn't too annoyed by this, as without booking, you do always run the chance of not being able to get a seat. A rather curt (could be argued as being rude) lady told us the wait would be from 40-60 mins, and that we would then be seated for a lunchtime seating with the lunch menu. My wife and I accepted this, and then we waited while the lade went to fetch her clipboard to sign us up.

What really annoyed me was that another couple walked in with no booking and another hostess seated them straight away, right in front of us!!!

After speaking to a gentleman at the front, we explained the situation that just happened and as if by magic he managed to find us a table which was not occupied, but with the proviso that we had to be out of our seats in 1 hr.

I am not one to create a fuss, but it seemed that we were screened by the hostess and deemed not worthy to dine in the restaurant.

So to the food itself - This was great, the quality was good and the fresh pastries were delicious. We did manage to eat within the hour, but it did feel rushed, especially when service is slow.

We had to ask our waitress for condiments twice before they were brought, food came quickly, but coffee and tea took an age!

We went for the experience, which on reflection was appalling (based on the service) but the food and ambiance were good.

Would I go again, probably not, Balthazar has recently opened and that looks way more appealing!!!!

Lastly - I wonder what the restaurant would do if I was still eating after the one hour table time had elapsed - who knows, I sort of feel like I should have eaten alot more slowly to find out!

• Visited November 2013

• Turkish first
fashionflyer1
“Beautiful breakfast”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

The Wolseley is a great place for a business breakfast. The atmosphere is always buzzing and you're sure to spot a celeb or two if you're so inclined. Here they really know how to do breakfast and the service is slick without being too pushy. On my last visit I had their croque monsieur which is deliciously decadent and very naughty.

• Visited August 2013
Brighton, United Kingdom
“The Best Burger in London?”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

This is one of my favourite restaurants in London and not just for the burgers which are brilliant. Great ambiance, fantastic staff and the chance to spot a celeb or too.

• Visited September 2013
Leicester
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great birthday dinner”
Reviewed November 25, 2013 via mobile

Great birthday treat. I've enjoyed several good meals here, great london atmosphere. The food and service are equally good. Need to book early to get a good time slot.

Visited November 2013
New York City, New York, USA
“Absolute perfection”
Reviewed November 24, 2013 credit card Amex Card Member Review

I've known about the Wolseley for years and only recently got to visit for the first time. I didn't have a reservation and being it was a Saturday afternoon, didn't expect to be seated. Instead, we were graciously shown to a lovely corner banquette table. I had the full afternoon tea, of course, and it was so beautifully presented! Loved the dome that could be hung from the top, and the very cool tea strainer! Service was professional and friendly. The food was delicious and well presented. I must go back to eat from their other menu. Everything looks so delicious! And the decor is one of the prettiest in London. I've had tea at the Ritz nearby and the Wolseley serves up far better, more delicious, varied, and delicious tea at better value.

Visited November 2013