“Amazing meal and great service”
Review of Nipa Thai

Nipa Thai
Ranked #124 of 23,995 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Thai
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: One of only 15 UK restaurants recognised by the Thai government for its quality and cuisine, Nipa wears its heritage proudly on its sleeve. The teak-panelled interior is inspired by its sister restaurant in Bangkok, with a profusion of orchids that feel strangely at home in their first floor setting in the Lancaster Hotel overlooking the Italian Fountains of Hyde Park. Three set menus and the extensive à la carte offer a mouthwatering range of intense Thai flavours, mixing traditional dishes of central Thailand with regional specialities.
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Great staff who were very attentive although discreet. I had the chicken satay for starters and this was delicious and beautifully presented. Then I had the lamb massaman - it was a great choice. The lamb was a melt in your mouth lamb shank with a lovely sauce. The small touches were a real treat (small fish cake as a pre-starter, crackers with a dipping sauce and a hot towel). Nothing was too much trouble and the food tasted great - one of the best Thai meals I've had in the UK. It was expensive, but totally worth it - shame it is hidden in the Lancaster Hotel.

Islandgrill2013, Manager at Nipa Thai, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

Dear Shogie B,

Thank you for your time and effort posting this review – we are delighted to read that you enjoyed your experience.

Although I do agree, that sometimes it is not obvious how to find Nipa Thai in the hotel itself, as a part of Lancaster London hotel, we are also privileged to have a convenient central London location and a great view to the Hyde Park!!
Be sure that once you come to the restaurant, our team is ready to reward your efforts with excellent food and service.

We sincerely welcome you back.

Nipa Thai team

Reviewed April 16, 2014

Was looking forward to trying Napa Thai as had read some wonderful reviews.
We dined there April 8th at about 5.30pm.at this point it was not busy so we had very attentive staff catering for our every need. Whilst we waited for our main course we were brought some appetizers they tasted wonderful even though we didn't quite know what we were eating.
The mains arrived and I must say the flavors and textures were something else, not too overpowering but very different.
We were given a table by the window with a wonderful view of The Italian Gardens but the only thing that spoilt the whole experience was the fact that we were sat close by to the place where the staff stood. What I don't think was appropriate was the fact they were discussing last years takings how much profit they had made and what they needed to do to improve on last year. We couldn't help but hear as they were standing fairly close to us, surely this could have taken place somewhere else and so not to make us feel 'like a number'!

Islandgrill2013, F&B manager at Nipa Thai, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Beatrice-TA,

Thank you very much for your review. I am happy to hear you enjoyed your food and attentive service but I am sorry that staff’s conversation disrupted your meal and made you feel uncomfortable.
In the restaurant, we try to develop every team member and so understanding profit and loss is an important part in their professional development. Thank you for bringing this up. I completely agree, that this part should not be covered or discussed during service. I will share your comment with the team and make sure that doesn't happen again.

I sincerely hope to welcome you back soon.

Kind Regards

Axelle Besson

Reviewed April 15, 2014

During school half term my wife and I decided to enjoy a rare night out and we couldn't have chosen a better place to enjoy it. My wife arrived first and was shown to a corner window table which was both private and with a lovely view. I arrived 15 minutes later. We were both warmly greeted by all staff upon arrival which was a lovely start.

Despite being well travelled and 'foodies' we asked for the maitre'd's recommendations from the menu and took his advice for both starter and main course. For starters we enjoyed the starter selection for two which was delightful. We then had chicken green curry, lobster penang curry, prawn pad thai, scallop and asparagus and sticky rice. It was all awesome and a real feast. I'm struggling to pick a favourite dish as it was all so good but if pressed I thought the scallop dish was the best. All of it was cooked to perfection. The scallops just perfectly opaque, fresh and individually huge. My wife also loved it all but favoured, almost by embarrassment given the seafood extravaganza in front of us, the chicken green curry. We finished up with sticky rice with mango which was both tasty and light and helped cleanse the palette despite almost inducing a 'wafer thin mint' moment given the amount of food we'd eaten.

The food was exemplary. The staff so friendly (in a typically Thai way from my experience, lovely people) but what impressed me most was the warm, knowledgable, discreet but attentive service which every guest received. It was impeccable service and its consistency reflects well on the management. Beyond the obvious, I was also impressed by two small things; the fact that the rice was replaced when it went cold (never experienced that before) and after all the plates had been cleared away, the table cloth was covered with a large clean napkin to hide the splashes that my clumsy hand had caused. Two small things which left big impressions and will ensure we will not hesitate to return again.

Islandgrill2013, Nipa Team at Nipa Thai, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2014

Dear Gavin H,

Thank you so much for your thorough comment.

We are aiming to provide the authentic – both food and service. Each of our team members are devoted to their profession and doing their best to take care of every individual guest.
Your feedback shows we are in a right way – especially when such feedback comes from 'foodies' who surely have seen a lot of examples of great and not so great dining-out experience.

We are really looking forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed April 6, 2014

Elegant Thai restaurant. Excellent food and service. Quite well done. I liked that their some of their hottest dishes were made so much with freshly sliced chiles and less so with pre-made sauces.

Islandgrill2013, Manager at Nipa Thai, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear Matt and Karen H,

Thank you for taking your time to share your feedback.

Delighted to hear that you enjoyed the food and service. If you like spicy food, we have plently of dishes on the menu which will be to your liking. Our friendly team are always happy to adjust any dishes according to your preferences.

We do hope to see you again very soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed March 30, 2014

My friend and I went to Nipa for the first time last night for dinner. I was expecting good things, after having read the previous reviews on Trip Advisor, and I wasn't disappointed. Once we'd ordered our starters and mains, some complimentary Thai crackers with sweet chilli dip and an amuse bouche of beef and pineapple were brought over (both very yummy). We had ordered the mixed starter platter for two, which consisted of chicken and beef satay, Thai fishcakes, prawn wontons and crab spring rolls, with four dipping sauces; one to compliment each of the starters. Our main courses (shared between my friend and I) were beef and mushrooms in an oyster sauce, coconut rice and lobster pad Thai. All of this food was lovely - delicately spiced, fragrant and definitely authentic. As a palate cleanser, we were then served a lychee each, with pineapple in the middle, which was very cute and refreshing. We finished our meal with two desserts: an Ice Cream Tod, which was deep fried vanilla ice cream with a chocolate sauce, and a Caramel Lychees, which was a caramel delice with a lychee in the middle, served with salted caramel ice cream and carpaccio of pineapple. Beautiful! Throughout the experience, the staff were uber friendly but not intrusive, and also efficient to top up wine/water glasses and remove used plates, etc. This Thai may be pricier than some others, but for a treat, it's definitely worth it. It's opened my eyes to the fact that there are some great restaurants in hotels that are worth exploring. Would definitely recommend!

Dear Laura K,

Wow, it is fantastic to read such a nice comment.

It seems like you are describing a perfect evening. We will share this great feedback with our kitchen and front of house team who will be very proud to learn that you had a great experience.

We would be delighted to welcome you back for another evening of great food and friendly service.

Kind regards,