“Beautiful dishes and a great location”

Petrichor at the Cavendish London
Ranked #556 of 23,381 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: Petrichor at The Cavendish London is a stylish Piccadilly restaurant, serving contemporary, 2AA Rosette awarded British cuisine and a great value pre-theatre menu. Situated on the first floor of The Cavendish London hotel, Petrichor has an enviable view overlooking the exclusive boutiques and galleries of Jermyn Street, St. James's and Piccadilly. Here, Head Chef Nitin Padwal and his team use the finest seasonal and regional produce to create monthly changing menus of delicious modern British cuisine. From the indulgent British breakfast to the casual a la carte lunch and dinner menus, Petrichor is committed to using only sustainable, locally sourced produce. Coupled with the high standards of customer service, these homemade dishes are the highlight of the memorable dining experience you will enjoy at Petrichor.
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

One of the very few restaurants where I sent compliments to the Chef. We went as a group of four on a deal and went for 3 course each to celebrate a friend's birthday and we enjoyed thoroughly. The location was great, our friends arrived slightly delayed so we were seated and we could wait for them, service was very polite. We ordered drinks, mushroom bake, trio of quail and salmon as starter and everyone agreed that the presentation and the taste was exquisite. Mains were goose and salmon and both were cooked and presented to perfection. The mash was dreamy. Desserts were another delight. It is a bit more formal restaurant though they don't enforce it, people do come dressed well. Overlooks Fortnum and Mason cafe. Slight glitches in service like when they forgot water and we had to remind them, bill had extra drink which we didn't have. Main thing I was slightly upset that after mentioning it was a birthday over phone, over email and at the entrance they completely forgot to do anything special. At the end of meal when I said there was an occasion, then they were surprised but said nothing. Would have been nice to at least write a message on dessert plate or so. There were long gaps in every course but worth the wait. If you had a event booked after, like us, be wary of the time as we ran late due to this. But as the food was so tasty and we enjoyed about 3 hours there and we left happy. Will definitely visit very soon again.

2  Thank RoopaLutzenberger
Roy S, Manager at Petrichor at the Cavendish London, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

Dear RoopaLutzenberger,

Thank you for your feedback and apologies for not recognising your friends birthday.
I will have our F&B manager look into this as to why nothing was done for your friend and why the service issues occurred.

Nitin our Head Chef will be delighted with your food comments as he and his team take great pride in ensuring that both presentation and taste are just right. They were rewarded a 2 AA rosette for their cooking in November last year and are now focussing on making that 3 AA Rosettes.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

Had evening meal here on a deal. 3courses and glass champagne. Really great value for money. Service was great. Staff friendly and smiley. Food was from al a carte menus and was really lovely. Sat in lounge after for couple drinks. Very comfortable and enjoyable evening. Not my first time of eating here but each time have been has always been great.

1  Thank Carolann236

Dear Carolann236,

Thank you for your wonderful review of Petrichor restaurant.
And it is great to hear you have dined with us before and have always enjoyed it.
We are launching our February/March menu today so make sure you come back to have a taste of all the new and exciting dishes our kitchen team have put together.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

We booked the £25 deal - three courses from the à la carte menu plus a glass of champagne on arrival. Needless to say, with a couple of glasses of wine each and a bottle of water, then with the addition of the 12.5% service charge, you can count on almost doubling the cost.

However, we knew that before we booked and I have to say that we were not in the least bit disappointed. The Cavendish Hotel is on Jermyn Street, which runs parallel to Piccadilly and is convenient for the tube stations at Green Park and Piccadilly Circus.

The restaurant was almost empty, just about four tables taken up, which is surprising, unless the offer is only an online offer and does not include the hotel guests. If that is the case, then this has got to be a mistake if you want to get bums on seats!

The service was first class; the champagne was brought to the table shortly after we were seated and I was pleasantly surprised to be offered a really full champagne glass of decent quality bubbly, not the half glass I somewhat cynically expected! A great start!

For starters we went for the Dill Salmon and the Hock Terrine. We each tried both and agreed that the terrine came out on top. For her main course my wife chose the braised ox cheeks, which we both tasted and agreed were superb. So easy to get it wrong if it doesn't quite melt in the mouth, but absolutely nothing wrong with this dish.

I chose the goose breast and I have to say that it almost came up to the standard of the ox cheeks. I really liked the presentation and have nothing but good to say about the dish.

For puddings we went for the Poire Belle Hélène and the Crème Brûlée; with a glass of Loupiac to accompany my Crème Brûlée, I was a very happy chap and my wife was also very pleased with her pudding, although she opted not to take a glass of dessert wine to wash it down!

Quite definitely value for money, especially in such a pleasant and convenient part of the capital, so I would definitely recommend it. The restaurant is comfortable, the staff and the service were excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed the food.

Roy S, Manager at Petrichor at the Cavendish London, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2014

Dear EuropeBlueSKy,

Thank you for visiting Petrichor restaurant recently while visiting the capital.
It is good to hear that you enjoyed both the food as the Atmosphere and that you thought it was good value for money.
When going out for dinner it is always nice to try each others food to get the best out of the experience and I am very happy that you both agreed on the quality of those dishes.

We look forward welcoming you back with us

Reviewed January 20, 2014

I went to this restaurant for lunch with my brother and sister to celebrate her recent birthday. We booked on a Bookatable deal and were asked to come for lunch at 12 which was a little early for us but fine. For most of our lunch, the restaurant was empty and a little cold. However, the staff were attentive and helpful. The food was fun, elaborate designs. My sister was not too fond of her starter, the smoked salmon but it was very attractively presented. I had the hake and prawn croquettes and my brother had the mushrooms - the joint view that the last one had been the best starter. For our mains we had salmon, goose and belly of pork - all works of art and tasty. My brother and I had excellent ice creams and sorbets for dessert while my sister had the poached pear. We had an extra glass of champagne as it was a special occasion. We finished the meal with coffee for two and full rose bud tea for me in the lounge. I thought the meal was excellent value at £25 for 3 courses and a glass of proper champagne (not just pink fizz!)

1  Thank 04061977

Dear 04061977,

Thank you for your review of Petrichor Restaurant.
And what a nice way to celebrate your sister her recent birthday.
Apologies for the general feel of the restaurant during your visit, we are a lot busier for dinner than we are for lunch.
It seems that overall you enjoyed all the food bar the salmon starter maybe which is actually our most popular starter on the menu. But I can imagine that it might not be to everyone's taste.

Hope you will visit us again in the near future

Reviewed January 16, 2014

visited the restaurant last week as a birthday treat, the little birthday cake was a nice touch, fantastic food and presented lovely [ the braised ox cheeks yum ] and the dessert orange and vanilla Alaska gorgeous. a fantastic offer from bookatable 3 courses and a glass of champagne for £25.

1  Thank travelboy71
Roy S, Manager at Petrichor at the Cavendish London, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Dear travelboy71,

Your feedback is much appreciated especially when it is such great praise.
The chef will be delighted with your comments about the food. The book a table offer has proven extremely popular with over 2000 people visiting us over the last 2months on this deal. The success has been overwhelming and we have tried our best to ensure that every 2000 gets the best possible service.

We look forward welcoming you back