“family lunch”
Review of Joanna's

Joanna's
Reserve with OpenTable
Joanna's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,577 of 22,827 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
“family lunch”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

have not been here for at least ten years, why I don't know, but we were in the area on Sunday so took the family and kids there for Sunday lunch, great that its still open , and if memory serves , its better than ever, we all had squid for starters , the kids had tempura, we had to half of chicken roast diners one 25 day old rib eye steak with a béarnaise sauce, I had the slow cooked shoulder of lamb , the kids had fish gujons and chips, and huge bowl of veg for everyone, they made a huge fuss of the kids. busy family style lunch , great time had by all and with drinks £112 . we will be back, almost forgot, great service as well . well done.

• Visited February 2014
4 Thank mike j

Croydon, England, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A treat”
Reviewed February 8, 2014

Enjoyed our evening at Joanna's to celebrate my husbands birthday .staff were attentive but never intrusive . Food was great although could have my starter although delicious had to be reheated .The rest of our food was faultless we thoroughly enjoyed our evening .
Joanna's is a great place to go at anytime but always made to feel special !

• Visited February 2014
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 26, 2014 via mobile

We have been keen to try Joanna's based on reviews for a while now. Attended with my other half and her parents. Decor is nice and service was very good. But felt let down by a couple of things.

We ordered a bottle of red wine which was nice enough, and despite the food being quite expensive, the wine list was really reasonable in fairness. Starters came, they were nice enough, but £7.50 for a chicken liver parfait it felt overpriced for the quality of it. There was nothing wrong with it, but it was on a par with pub starters I've had for £4-5 if honest. My other halves dad had soup and wasn't offered (and it didn't come with) any bread which also seemed strange. Also I thought for the price of the food (£8 approx for starters and £16-20 for mains) some complimentary bread on arrival wouldn't have been much to ask. The mains arrived and I had shoulder of lamb, as did my other halves' mum. It was a pretty awful piece of lamb, very very fatty, even for shoulder. My other halves mum ate hers with no waste. Whereas about a quarter of mine was on the plate at the end in a sort of fat / gristle corner. So either she loves eating fat (she has denied this is the case) or my piece of lamb, simply put, just wasn't very good. I could live with this and appreciate it happens. But upon letting the waiter know it wasn't a great piece of lamb (and he could see I still had some on my plate that I'd left) a lady then came over and in fairness spoke to us. Not sure who she was she never said. She explained that lamb shoulder is always fatty and this is why it was like this. I would have taken this on the chin (or shoulder if u will) but my other halves mum ordered the same and I could see that hers was considerably less fatty and far more edible than mine. It was like being given a front row seat for what my dish could have been...

I've had lamb shoulder plenty of times and it's never been that fatty before. The mystery lady didn't say anything after I said all of this (just sloped off to no doubt mumble something to a nonchalant chef) and nothing was done about it. If it was my restaurant I would have probably taken the dish off the bill or offered a complimentary dessert. As a consequence of my annoyance I didn't leave a tip. I feel bad about this and with hindsight regretted this as the service was good. It wasn't their fault the mystery lady thinks she's a lamb expert who doesn't believe the customer is right and I was unlucky with my cut of lamb.

Overall it left a sour taste in the mouth and I won't be returning. A shame, but if your charge prices that are around 25% higher than standard prices for the area then you need to back it up with quality and decent service. This didn't happen

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Biff237
london, england
“First time at Joannas - AMAZING!”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Food, service, ambiance, value for money all amazing!
Attended for my partners birthday, amazing food, all cooked to perfection and service was 10/10.
Really beautiful inside also, we will return.
Thank you Joannas!

• Visited January 2014
“A local institution”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

Joanna's has been going for decades, apparently under the same ownership throughout, and has become a local destination restaurant. I would say it would be described in restaurant search sites as "Modern British", which in my experience tends to mean Anglo-French. Joanna's never fails to please and I have brought friends and family here to enjoy the food, service and cosy, welcoming ambience. My parents love it too, which is some achievement as Dad can be hard to please on the restaurant front.

• Visited December 2013