“Great Expectations”
Review of Joanna's

Joanna's
Reserve with OpenTable
Joanna's is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,550 of 22,853 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Crowthorne, United Kingdom
“Great Expectations”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

Decided to come here for my Mum's Birthday. Three of us had a great meal. Two starters, the roasted red peppers with feta cheese & olives was lovely as was my daughter crevette cocktail. Mains were excellent from the bream, battered haddock to the sirloin steak. Service was exceptional, changes to the menu were offered when asked. Wine was OK (if pricey) would have expected a better vintage but went down well anyway. Two deserts. Water served regularly (good as I was driving & not drinking). The decor put this place on its own.
Only note of caution we were double charged for bread & olives. Quickly corrected and apologies for the error. Not a cheap meal but worth the extra. Would recommend.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank seagles

London, United Kingdom
“Below Expectation”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

We went for an evening meal on Saturday 10th August 2013. We both had starters, main meal, red and white wine as well as desserts. My starter was well presented and tasty, my wife's starter was cray fish and avocado salad presented in a glass, challenging to eat to say the least, the salad had hardly any crayfish or almost no avocado!
The main meals were trout and haddock with mushy peas etc. with a couple of side dishes; these were reasonably presented and quite tasty. The restaurant serves red and white wine in white wine glasses! When I asked why this was I was advised this is what they do and that that there were quite a few breakages with red wine glasses...When I ordered my bottle of white whine, the waitress took away the bottle and kept bringing it to my table every 10 minutes or so to pour it in my glass. They did not provide a bucket of ice for the bottle so that I could help myself at the table.
My desert was crème brule, this was tasteless. My wife had cheese, grapes and biscuits, this was average in presentation and taste. We had high expectations of this restaurant sadly it turned out to be quite average or below average. When we paid for the meal the waiter took back the receipt!

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank Miro P
London, United Kingdom
“Abolutely Lovely”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

I went to Joanna's when my Mum was visiting, and it was such a pleasure to walk into an almost local restaurant, and have white linen on the tables. The food was delicious, and the waitress was totally accommodating when Mum wanted to make a slight variation to her meal. The service was prompt, the restaurant was relaxing, and the food was beautiful. Will definitely be back.

• Visited June 2013
“Amazing group Saturday lunch, planning to go again!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

A group of us went on a Saturday lunchtime to the institution that is Joanna's in Crystal Palace est 1978 and still a favourite amongst locals, one person on our table told me she moved here after viewing a flat and having lunch!

The restaurant is relaxing and comfortable with beautiful dark polished wood, gleaming glass and colourful tasteful original artwork.

A beautiful restaurant with excellent service, a good affordable wine list and menu that has something to please everyone from juicy humongous burgers in a brioche bun with hand cut fries, char grilled steak to what I ate a tender lamb rump with summer broad beans and peas to a tasty vegetarian main with the addition of a beautiful tempura of courgette flower, all were good sized portions and excellent quality and value for money with yummy starters and desserts enjoyed by us all.

I will have to go back with a friend next week for lunch as I am craving a burger at £10 amazing value.

I would recommend booking as they were very busy and they do not rush you off your table.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Corinne R
Hayling Island, United Kingdom
“Excellent but a bit noisy (personal foible)”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

My niece recently treated me to a meal here while I was up from the South Coast for a few days, and I must say the food, ambience, and service were excellent.

My reason for giving it only four "stars" was that it was noisy - being a very hot evening the windows were open and the traffic noise from that combined with the background music which these days seems to be de rigeur at most eating places.

Nevertheless I recognise that dislike of this latter is a personal foible and today's youngsters no doubt like it - but at 71 I'm afraid I DON'T. I like a nice quiet meal with easy conversation, not stressed shouting across the table which of course increases the general hubbub. But as I said, most places adopt this torture these days so I would not single out Joanne's as faulty because of this. And yes, I would jump at the opportunity to go back next time I visit the area.

• Visited July 2013