“Hugely entertaining” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sarastro

Sarastro
Ranked #547 of 22,204 Restaurants in London
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Description: Filled with opera luvvies, tourists and eccentric Londoners, Sarastro has earned itself an iconic reputation in London's West End for its opulent decor and flamboyant food. Part decorative stage set, part bric-a-brac store, the dining room at Sarastro - which is located in Drury Lane - features crushed velvet tablecloths, cosy booths and semi private opera booths seating on the theatrical mezzanine level overlooking the restaurant. This charismatic setting is a dining experience you won't forget, and the menu is Mediterranean with a nod towards Turkey. Classic dishes include the lamb shank, the grilled sea bass and the pan-fried mussels in tomato sauce.
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Hugely entertaining”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2014

We came to Sarastro on a Thursday, which was Motown night and were not disappointed. The atmosphere in the restaurant was great and the singer very entertaining, getting us all up and dancing. We were seated on one of the larger balconies and had a great view although there was little leg room and getting in and out of the seats was quite a challenge for those of us without thin legs! We ordered the set menu and started with meze which was great. All the main courses were enjoyed although this is not fine dining. The focus is more on decent food with a great atmosphere.
A great venue for a celebratory evening of fun. Warning for those with children: make sure they use the correct toilets; the adult ones are not suitable!

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Fiona M

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Great Night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went to Sarastro on a Sunday evening with a group of friends and were seated on a balcony. There was live opera on and we had the set menu. It was best set menu ever. Big portions and very tasty. Will definitely visit again...

4 Thank 663martin2005
Lincolnshire
“Visually a treat....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

Stopped for a bite to eat here early evening without a reservation on recommendation of a friend. The decor is very quirky and a real treat for the eyes being so different from the usual. We weren't that hungry and just ordered a starter and a couple of side orders which were tasty but small in portion size and average as for London prices. It is worth a visit just to see the decor and a trip to the ladies loos....you need to be over 16 to go to the ladies upstairs as the wall murals there are quite explicit in a very arty and interesting way. I agree withChampagne 1958 regarding the poor quality, lack lustre musicians that appear to be the same band performing when we went and I too was appalled when they came round 'collecting' after their set. it put me in mind of Romanian beggars who board the trams in Warsaw, inflict their 'music' and then beg for money...though in a somewhat more aggressive manner. Theme nights are possible here and I would love to visit on a Thursday when they have a Motown & Swing music night and would like to reserve a place in one of the many raised booths - though I imagine they get quite warm when we occasionally get summer weather here in the UK! I would recommend this restuarant to others to judge for themselves and to enjoy the decor.

1 Thank podroz2
Kent
“A delicious experience for all the senses!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014 via mobile

I recently vidited this restaurant for the first time on 18th July 2014 for my friends birthday. We ordered meze for starters and I ordered the lamb shank for the main.
The decor in this place is fascinating, and really sends you to the meditteranean, it is decorated like some form of genies tavern. That's the only way I can describe it. The balcony seating looked so so cool. We were sat down the middle which was just as good as we had such a good view of the entertainment and the decor too!
Despite the restaurant being packed, we were served our starters and our drinks really promply. The staff were very tentative, and they even charged up my iphone when the battery ran out!!
This might not be the best place for children as there are some very erotic art exhibits in the female toilets, perhaps not for little eyes.

The food:
What can I say? I love stuffing my face, so the ample dips and constant bread servings were great. All the meze is just how you would expect it. I wouldn't say it's better than any other I've tasted, but I'd also say it's on par. These things can only really be good or bad.
As I said I had the lamb shank, abd it was wonderful, meat tenderly falling off the bone, and a potato stack thing with garlic and vegetables. The joint was a great size, but after all the meze I was glad the main wasn't too big!!

The entertainment:
We had a lovely lady singing spanish music the whole time we were there. It was lovely abd you could recognise some of the songs too.

All in all a great experience, and I look forward to going back.

2 Thank tanya_Downes
London, United Kingdom
“Great Food, Great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2014

The restaurant is very nice. Service is good and fast. Food is very delicious.
Amazing atmosphere and great live music.

3 Thank gulizarr