“Mediocre at half the price”
Review of Carnaby Restaurant

Carnaby Restaurant
Ranked #17,554 of 24,426 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: With a fantastic location in the West End, directly opposite the famed street and namesake, Carnaby is a bright and modern brasserie, serving lunch, dinner, afternoon tea and casual refreshments throughout the day. Located next to the London Palladium Theatre, Carnaby Brasserie is ideal for pre or post thearte dinner, casual lunches, or just a long and leisurely afternoon tea with friends, The Carnaby is a welcoming and vibrant eatery for every occasion.
Reviewed February 4, 2012

The service was friendly but extremely slow and unprofessional. We were left without menus for at least 10 minutes while they checked our Smartbox voucher before even asking if we wanted drinks. They got our order wrong (a ceaser salad instead of a brie salad) and the food was really poor, a thin tomato/pepper soup, overcooked steak, a decent grilled bream but worst of all, a chocolate fondant that was actually a brownie and so overcooked I couldn't cut it with a knife. The icing on the cake was when we were presented with the bill. We were given a smartbox voucher by friends as a gift which covered the three course meal but we were told we had to pay full price as they didn't have time to "put the voucher through". I asked why this wasn't explained to us before we ordered and the waitress said she had tried to tell us earlier by not phoning us back when we made our reservation!! You work that one out. We left the money for our drinks on the table and left

1  Thank ManyFacedTMan

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Special theatre menu good value and excellent service. Adjacent to Palladium and convenient location for pre theatre meal. No faults

Reviewed November 16, 2011

Carnaby was within courthouse hilton hotel - really excellent informal menu - couldnt fault it - well worth money.

Reviewed August 5, 2011

We had been to the theatre nearby and wanted a nice meal to finish off before departing back to our hotel. We remembered staying at this hotel previously and having a good meal then, and so decided to return.
The staff were so attentive, offering drinks as soon as they saw we had finished.
The meal started with lovely fresh bread, and then the starters.
All 3 courses were well prepared and served, and a delight to eat.
We had pate for one starter and smoked salmon the other. Both were lovely and well presented.
For main course we both had the sea bream. This was truly delightful and served with great vegetables - a delicious and healthy meal.
We then decided we had room for desert and I can truly recommend the crumble cake. It was great.
Coffee rounded off a truly superb meal and a superb evening. The atmosphere was so relaxing and I cannot recommend this restaurant enough.
We will definitely be back next time we are in London.

Reviewed March 14, 2011

I took a Groupon webdeal here last night to celebrate my partner's birthday. The 'value' of the meal was almost £70 (although through Groupon I paid £24). It was a set three course meal. Whilst it was described in the most fancy and interesting ways the meal itself was dire!

They brought us olive oil and balsamic and bread at the beginning of the meal - great start I thought. But the oil was the blandest most characterless oil I've had in years. No distinctive flavour at all. The balsamic vinegar was also really low grade.

My starter was a Cappacunio of Mushrooms with thyme infused porcine powder, what I got was a bowl of mushroom soup with a drizzle of oil on top. The soup could easily have been a commercially produced one. My partner's insalata caprese was supposed to have vine tomatoes - he had half a sliced tomato (again tasteless).

The meal continued in this vein. I don't know if they sent the chef home and popped out to Tesco for their ingredients, but I really wouldn't recommend this. I can't remember how long its been since I've eaten such a poor quality meal in London.

The service was silver service and smartly provided. However, the Maitre D' carefully avoided enquiring whether everything is OK and whether we enjoyed our meal. It must be humiliating to serve such terrible food

1  Thank shrewdparticipator