“Do you miss The Pancke place?”

My Old Dutch - Holborn
Ranked #3,979 of 24,264 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Holborn
Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

If you do then get yourself down to this place - ten times better pancakes and alcohol to boot. Great service, no issues and good comfort food. What's not to like?

Reviewed February 22, 2013

This place is comfortable, friendly, and the pancakes are good. But they do seem a bit overpriced when there are no special offers available (like half-price Mondays).

Reviewed February 19, 2013

In the past, we had many good visits to the sister place on Kings Road, but were very disappointed with this one.
1. There is a piano in the smaller room by the entrance. I suggest management dispose of it, nothing good can come of it. We went as a family party with kids, so have sympathy for other people with children. But having to listen to someone else's unmusical offspring hammering away at the piano all through our meal was simply dreadful.
2. Food took a long time to arrive and when it eventually did, one dish was wrong. However, the replacement arrived within a couple of minutes. If that is possible, why not put the food out a little faster?
3. Quite a long time after ordering, I was informed that they were out of a certain ingredient and I had to order something else. This was at 3pm in the afternoon. I could understand this happening towards closing time, but by mid-afternoon? Seems more like poor organisation/planning in the kitchen.
4. The fillings on the pancakes seemed rather thrifty. If you order something with olives and all you get on those large pancakes are five measly little ones, that is just not good. Same goes for the other fillings, there was very little on it.
5. I ordered Mango juice, what I got was some horrible tasting squash, but not juice.
Won't be back in a hurry.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

Service was incredibly slow. We had been waiting in the doorway for at least 5 minutes, several times staff walked past us but no one even acknowledged us.
Despite ordering our sweet option with our starter order we waited 40 minutes for it to arrive. We were told the tea we ordered was ready only when we told them not to bother and to just bring the bill.
I've had poffetjes in the Netherlands, there they are light delicious little pancake bites. At My Old Dutch they are thick stodgy and chewy. They look more like blinis than pancakes.
I was excited that Shrove Tuesday had fallen on my birthday but was thoroughly disappointed with this pancake house.

Reviewed February 5, 2013

My husband used to work near here a few years ago & has always told me how good it was so I was really looking forward to it. When we arrived we were seated straight away by a harrassed, grumpy waitress. We were near the door which didn't shut properly so it was very cold. After 15 minutes, 3 more tables had arrived in the area we were in, but none of us had been served. We decided to leave. As we walked out I noticed that the other part of the restaurant was full. There must have been 40 people there & one waitress trying to serve everyone. No wonder she was so grumpy! At £8 a pancake, I think they could afford to employ a few more staff.