“Afternoon Tea”
Review of The Fox Club

The Fox Club
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fox Club is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #14,472 of 23,391 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We were treated to an afternoon tea as a gift. The Fox club is situated in Mayfair opposite Green Park. It has a very smart exterior and the inside is also smart and clean. The staff were very friendly albeit slightly informal and it turned out that a female who was sat at the bar was also a member of staff. We would have expected a selection of teas on offer but there was only one available, however we did get a free top up. The sandwiches were nice however the scones would have been better warmed up. Toilets were clean with Moulton Brown soap. Overall a pleasant experience but not as grand as one might expect for Mayfair due to the casual approach.

1  Thank DavidA129541

Reviewed July 7, 2013

I enjoy the Fox Club for a nightcap at the after a business dinner. A good selection of beers and whiskeys and never crowded.

1  Thank Grassy W
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I am not a member. I have only been here for a couple of days about three weeks ago. We used it as a good spot to overnight in order to go to an event in a club behind the Ritz. We had a good deal on late rooms. We arrived just before lunch and left late the following afternoon. On the Friday lunch time there were a number of members and maybe some of their guests using the dining room. From what I could see everyone was in good spirits, it seemed very convivial and and all looked satisfied. My son and I had a very good entirely fresh and tasty bar snack lunch. I had some toasted sandwiches, my son an untoasted one and we each had an excellent bowl of soup. There were at least four others eating in the cosy bar, obviously besuited and out on their lunch break. After going out on a very wet afternoon we returned for a perfectly acceptable pot of tea and cake. Nothing wrong with any of it, or the service. We were out to dinner, up late in the morning with sore heads and needed fresh air, so (having a room only deal), we nipped around the corner to the excellent Dom Vito cafe opposite Browns in Albemarle St. I later returned to the Fox club to pick up my bags and had another entirely OK tea at fourish. If the two earlier negative reviews are correct then I can only say that my experience was very different and that if there was a problem it seems to have been entirely sorted.

1  Thank Jannerbloke
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Imagine the most pedestrian, depressing, uninspired afternoon tea you can, and then refrigerate it for three hours. Welcome to the Fox Club.

After receiving a 'Red Letter Days' voucher for afternoon tea from a well-meaning relative, Mrs R and I booked afternoon tea at the Fox Club. We arrived on a wet afternoon to be greeted cheerfully by a pleasant waitress and ushered into a slightly shabby but not entirely unappealing room. So far, so good.

We started with a complimentary glass of wine - a bit odd before tea, but I'll never turn down a glass of red. Pretty uninspiring stuff, but that wasn't what we were here for.

Then the tea arrived. Aboard a listing silver tower were stationed an army of variously unappealing comestibles - sandwiches on the lower deck, scones amidships and cupcakes and muffins keeping a doleful lookout from the crow's nest.

So let's start with the sandwiches, which appeared to have recently been retrieved from somewhere underneath Eric Pickles. The Hovis / Kingsmill / supermarket-own-brand bread indicated we weren't in for a treat... Each sandwich needed to be prised apart from its soggy bedfellows, and the fillings conjured up school canteen 'can't be bothered' fayre of the lowest order. Processed ham, flavourless tomato and browning sweetcorn were the order of the day.

Having sated ourselves on the sandwiches, we moved up the middle deck and things went downhill further. The cakes had presumably been recently salvaged from the Tescos remainder bin and were lacking any taste or even vague attempt to appear homemade. The previous diner's fingermarks still appeared to be visible in the icing, showing where they had been picked up but the visitor had clearly had the sense to think better of it. The scones would be best employed on a camping trip: useful for knocking in tent pegs in the absence of a mallet. We moved swiftly on.

The crowning 'glory' was the cupcakes - again clearly shop bought, with icing more flavourless than I would have thought possible. Mr Kipling would have been weeping into his plastic-packaged fancies.

A quick mention of the tea is all that is required - I couldn't quite put my finger on whether it was Tetley or PG Tips.

I can only assume that the Fox Club is named after the little ginger fellows who must, nightly, have the best (worst) feast in the West End in the bins out back.

This is my first TripAdvisor review, but in the interests of public service I felt it was my duty to warn other potential punters away from this place. Unless you think £35 is fair value for a good laugh, then don't bother. Or just go and meet the foxes out the back.

9  Thank MrRolandRat
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Very average food, sandwiches with plain fillings accompanied with black tea and suspicious dessert offerings. The staff aren't very welcoming and didn't make an effort with explaining what any of the items on the set afternoon tea were. If you want to have a nice relaxing afternoon tea there are better options in London, this is definately not one of the better establishments for this experience.

3  Thank Adventuring_Aussie