“Great Steak”

Cuisines: Steakhouse, British, Bar
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chelsea
Description: Serving top-quality British beef since 2002, Sophie's is a Chelsea institution. Famous for honest food made from the best ingredients; infamous for their legendary 10oz Martinis; loved for their warm, unpretentious service. Sophie's is perfect for a pre-shopping pit-stop at lunch, or a quick bite before the cinema, but equally geared towards a blow-out meat fest in the evening. The menu focussed on British native breed beef, dry-aged and butchered in house with a lean towards 'family style' sharing cuts. Everything is made on site, in house - don't miss out on the ice-cream, churned daily. The Steakhouse seats 80, with the Bar hosting room for another 30 standing. Both Bar & Steakhouse are open all day from 12noon (or 11am at the weekend) and bookings can be made online. Brunch is served 11am - 4pm Sat & Sun and don't miss the phenomenal Sunday Roast, prepared from the same best quality beef as their steaks.
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Took my family for drinks and a meal on 5/1/2013 - had a great time and despite being in the evening and with my 7 year old son, very happy to sit in the bar area whilst a table was available and had a great meal. Shared a 35 oz t-bone with my brother in law.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have visited this restaurant a few times, and the only complaint I can make is that the early Sunday lunch sitting is overrun with children and push chairs. It serves us right for visiting at 1pm on a Sunday though, as it has always been fine for dinner! The steak is consistently excellent, and the macaroni cheese side dish a delicious side dish.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

Sophie's is everything a steakhouse should be - busy, large portions, good quality meat, good bar and simple. As a result I eat here 2-3 times a month.
There's no reservations so the key is to arrive either before 8 or after 9.30. A 30 min wait means time for a quick drink at the bar or one of the neighbouring pubs and helps build a bit of an appetite. The cote de boeuf is perfect rare and a bit of a challenge at 800g.
The only issues I have are the limited wine list and the hike in prices in the past 12 months. That said, I could never turn my back on Sophie...

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Sophies is just divine. The staff were friendly and the service was on the ball and quick. I loved the wine list- choosing a bottle or Australian Shiraz and trying my first Rioja (deliscious).

Food was great. Didn't love my calamari but serves me right for not ordering a steak. Next time- and there will definitely be a next- steak is the name of the game.

Reviewed January 6, 2013

Took the family to Sophie's, where they tout the steakburgers, and despite an above average meal, I really liked the place, due to the friendly service and nice atmosphere.

Really, the maitre d' was very casual, welcoming and friendly, and I like the drape/curtain around the door entry. Really, I have always enjoyed that touch to preserve a little of the privacy and also to preserve the temperature of the restaurant.

We came early on a Thursday night, around 6 pm, so didn't need a reservation, and we were given a nice l-shaped booth above the staircase leading to the bathrooms. It was behind a column so we were in a pretty private booth. For our 2 kids [7 yr old boy and 5 yr old girl], this was perfect. They had kids menus, and instead of crayons, had colored pencils, which I liked for a more refined element.

The waiter was someone who looked like he was Clark Kent from Superman [any one of them], and was very congenial and welcoming to us, and the kids. He had many recommendations, and seemed to recognize we were Americans from the get go. He was very helpful and not pushy, a fine line.

We had 2 kiddy burgers, and my wife had one as well. I think they were a little dry, but meaty. They generally cook the burgers well-done, which I think shouldn't be the default, but overall the meat quality seemed high.

I had the 10 oz ribeye medium, which may have been a little well-done, but was fairly good quality. I substituted the green beans for my fries. My wife substituted some creamed spinach as well. They were really flexible on the substitutions or options, which we appreciated of course.

They made their own ice cream for dessert, which was really good as well. Overall we thought everything was good, and since we lived about 10 blocks away, we were able to walk off all the calories. What really made the place was the atmosphere and service. Decent food was the bonus.

I should also mention that I liked the trough for the men in the bathroom in the basement!