“Great First Night Dinner”
Review of Moti Mahal - CLOSED

Moti Mahal
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Transit: Tube: Covent Garden, Holborn
Description: Moti Mahal is the chic London outpost of the celebrated Delhi restaurant which opened in 1959. 'An unexpected delight' (Hardens Guide), Inspired by the culinary roots of India, particularly along the famed Grand Trunk Road, Chef Anirudh Arora brings you time-honoured dishes and recipes. By accentuating new tastes and flavours from India's richly woven history, the new menu at Moti Mahal is a feast for the senses. A perfect setting, with curved glass-fronted kitchen and gleaming copper bar, and attentive service will transform your meal in a memorable experience, and Moti Mahal is also 'perfect before a show' (Zagat).
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Our concierge sent us here after we asked for great Indian food and we were glad he did. Service was attentive and knowledgeable. The food was very, very good. We loved the deconstructed salad (lettuce/greens, tomato, cucumber, radish, hot pepper and onions) that comes to the table on a cutting board with just a lemon, olive oil and two different seasoning salts. It was different and fun. I had a lamb dish that was fabulous and blew my husbands more simple shrimp dish away. Cocktails were creative and well prepared. The restaurant was completely full on a Thursday night. The food was better than most Indian we have had. I will say that the prices were higher than we've paid for Indian food before as well. It made for a great first night in London!

1  Thank jaluca04

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Arrived a little late (15 minutes) for our reservation but when I stated the reference the lady told me there wasn't a booking for us. We booked a deal through Bookatable and I showed her the booking confirmation email but she still wouldn't seat us, however she was prepared to give us a table if we ordered from the standard menu, so they did have tables available.

I have since complained in writing via email but have not even received a response. Absolute scam and we won't be going back!

1  Thank Rebecca B
Reservations M, Manager at Moti Mahal, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Hi Rebecca,

I hope you received my response to this post as the public response doesn't seem to have come up. Thank you for letting me know about your issue with your Bookatable reservation. With regards to these reservations, when they are made via bookatable, they automatically get added to our booking system and simply come up as a web reservation on our daily diary. I'm not sure what happened to your booking and why it wasn't on our system, because as I say, it's automatic.

However, I'm sorry to hear that you were not given the right explanation or treated well when this issue arose. That is certainly something that I will discuss with our reservations team.

If you wish, please email me directly at: info@motimahal-uk.com and I will deal with this directly.

Thank you for letting me know.

Lyndsay, Moti Mahal

Reviewed October 25, 2013

This restaurant is still the best for Indian food in London but the drinks are unreasonably pricey with most of the cocktails coming in at £12. This and the non-discretionary service charge need to be reviewed.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

We visited the Moti Mahal for a romantic meal and the setting is perfect for that. The food is very good quality, lacking on the quantity as you would expect in an al a carte establishment. If you are looking for a 'ruby murray' this is not the place for you. If your looking for something extra special, as a one off treat (unless you have won the lottery) then I would recommend going at least once to sample their take on North indian food. The open kitchen adds to the atmosphere and their cocktails served as an aperitif course are very very good.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Went in here for lunch, ordered the paneer and chicken starter and they were both completel bland, the salad they give us on the table was weird.
Overpriced pretentious indian food that has no taste
If you want pricey indian food try mint lead restaurants, theres two of them
or if you like indian food and want proper indian food, go anywhere else but moti mahal...

Reservations M, Manager at Moti Mahal, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Hi,

sorry to hear that you thought the food was pretentious. The salad starter that every guests received is essentially something fun and unusual for people to cleanse their palate, before their meal but perhaps it's not to everyone's liking.

Thank you for your feedback.

Moti Mahal.