“Indian Culinary Delights”

Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Covent Garden
Transit: Tube: Covent Garden, Holborn
Description: Moti Mahal is the chic London outpost of the celebrated Delhi restaurant which opened in 1959. 'An unexpected delight' (Hardens Guide), Inspired by the culinary roots of India, particularly along the famed Grand Trunk Road, Chef Anirudh Arora brings you time-honoured dishes and recipes. By accentuating new tastes and flavours from India's richly woven history, the new menu at Moti Mahal is a feast for the senses. A perfect setting, with curved glass-fronted kitchen and gleaming copper bar, and attentive service will transform your meal in a memorable experience, and Moti Mahal is also 'perfect before a show' (Zagat).
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We were taken here by friends who are regulars. The service was friendly and attentive but not intrusive. All courses were a delight with new tastes and textures. The meats were moist and not all swimming in a lurid coloured sauce!. The lentils are worth a mention - absolutely delicious. The variety of kulfi were a light and fresh way to end the meal. Not the cheapest Indian meal but probably the best I've ever had. Looking forward to a return.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

The food was nice, can't complain too much, but the service was rubbish.
We had multiple waiters/waitresses ask if we wanted to order drinks, after we already ordered from the first waiter. They got our order wrong, bearing in mind there's only 6 of us, when the waiter tried to count the dishes on the table and match against the order receipt he was holding, it was all too much and he had to call the head waiter to complete this arduous task.
The head waiter went down the list then apologised for the missing dish and said it was on its way very quickly and would be complimentary on the bill.
When the bill arrived all the dishes were on the bill, we tried discussing this with the head waiter who had no recollection of his earlier conversation with us and said that nothing was complimentary!
So we politely asked that the optional service charge be removed from the bill.
Also when we booked we asked if it would be ok to eat 2 courses in 1 hour and 15mins and leave at this specified time as we had theatre tickets. They acknowledged this when we arrived but then lost it, and we ended up leaving 15 mins later than planned just in time to get into the theatre before the show started.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

Made lunch reservations since I was solo and felt welcomed the moment I walked it. Service was attentive, but not annoying. I was a little taken back with the board of vegetables and although I kept thinking I could do this at home, I found it kind of fun to make up my own salad, slicing up the cucumber, tomatoes and onions...can't get fresher than that! I ordered the set menu and selected the lamb as my entre. The presentation was visually appealing and I think I cleaned my plate. I didn't find any hidden charges, as a few mentioned....gratuity is clearly written on the menu and additional surcharge was added to the bill, but was discretionary. I did not order alcohol, only a soft drink. Overall, a great choice.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

Finished a lovely evening out with friends at a place we have heard lots about. Very busy, very loud but that's expected. Food was very good. Had the set menu but the bill came up to way more then first thought. They have all these little hidden charges. . All in all the food was still good the service was ok. Drinks are very expensive also.

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

Had the Guinea fowl tandoori which was tender and succulent. The seabass curry was somewhat less successful and I would have preferred a spicier more piquant flavour. The name could also be fluffier. The crispy okra was more interesting than flavourful. Service was good.
Location is fantastic and ideal for having a bye before or after a theatre show. I would probably try their tasting menus in future which I think are better value than ordering from the a la carte menu.