“usually good... shame”
Review of Moomba Kitchen & Bar - CLOSED

Moomba Kitchen & Bar
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Moomba Kitchen & Bar offers an all-day British dining menu in the heart of Putney. Within an emphasis on quality and fresh seasonal ingredients, the menu delivers something for everyone throughout the day, starting with Moomba’s famous breakfasts – the Full English, Eggs Benedict, and Pancakes being particular favourites, washed down with superb quality coffees, and fabulous smoothies and fresh juices. The seasonally appropriate menu changes regularly, and features casual dining options like homemade soups, meat and vegetarian pies, meat, fish and vegetarian sharing boards, and handmade gourmet burgers, plus imaginative fish dishes, expertly cooked steaks and the house specialty, Beef Wellington. Moomba also offers good value set-lunch and a reasonably priced kids menu. The restaurant itself is glamorously decked out with lush fabrics, stylish wallpapers and lighting. The atmosphere is ideal for both casual dining and special occasions. Moomba is renowned for its friendly and warm welcome, as befits a classic neighbourhood restaurant.
Reviewed November 17, 2012

usually lovely ... wanted to wow my friend who had never been before.
the table was held as the train was late (which was lovely) the starter the sharing platter .. was nice, we enjoyed.
i ordered the trout with samphire which was delicious...
the service was shocking the wrong drinks plonked on table, food thrown down !
my friends moomburger which is normally lush ... was late so much we had shared my fish ... the burger came as hard as a rock ... missing the blue cheese sauce ... cold chips..
when we finally got the waiters attention to explain there was no blue cheese sauce it was snatched away and 10 mins later the same stale burger was slammed on the table with a slab of COLD bluecheese perched on the top !!!!

SHOCKING SERVICE !!!
such a shame ... we didnt have coffee or dessert ! this is one of my fav rest. and i was embarrassed that my friend even entered the door !!!
have not been back which is a shame

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Had breakfast here last Friday. Warm enough welcome which was cooled slightly by the news that the kitchen were unable to prepare either fried eggs or omelettes - a real shame for fans of the "Full English". Despite that, we decided to stay. I substituted a fried egg for a poached egg on my breakfast whilst my wife selected the kippers.

Food arrived in good time - and that's where the disappointment started. The full english was advertised to include (amongst other things) black pudding. There was none on my plate. My poached egg was overcooked by a ridiculous amount and resembled a hard-boiled egg rather than a poached effort when sliced into. Further, the food was luke warm and served on cold plates (probably a contributory factor). All in all, a most unenjoyable experience.

We pointed out all of these flaws to the staff who simply shrugged their shoulders and said that "the kitchen was having a few problems this morning". Now, call me old fashioned, but if a kitchen is having problems you shouldn't be running a restaurant. We paid our bill (the full amount I might add since no discount was offered for the absent black pudding and the seriously poor quality) for a sub-standard experience.

Putney has some serious competition in the breakfast stakes so I shan't be returning to Moomba. My advice to readers is to simply avoid.

Reviewed August 14, 2012

We visited on a Sunday afternoon after spending the morning at London 2012. We sat outside for brunch in the mid afternoon. I always love a place that can serve brunch all afternoon.

We had fresh juice drinks, but others sitting around us were drinking Pimms that looked great.

I had an omelette that I really enjoyed. My wife had poached eggs that were well overcooked, so she did not really enjoy hers.

Service was friendly. We sat outside, and given that Lacy Rd is relatively quiet, so it was very pleasant sitting outside on a Sunday afternoon.

Reviewed June 19, 2012

Went there for breakfast with 3 friends, didn't get off to a good start when after 5 min we eventually had to ask for the menus to brought over, granted they were busy but normally you bring menus over when you seat customers.

We all ordered the "ultimate full English" for what i consider to be a pricey £8.35 (and that doesn't include a tea or coffee). The "ultimate" full English comes with 1 sausage, 2 bacon, 1 egg, a tiny piece of black pudding, a tablespoon serving of beans and mushrooms, 1 hash brown and 1 ready made bubble and squeak and 2 "slices" of toast. As you can see from the picture they had cut slices of toast in triangles and what you actually got was about half a slice of toast which i thought was a bit tight. As an fan of the traditional full English breakfast i think it should always come with 2 bacon, 2 sausages and 2 eggs.

Taste wise the food was average not stand out but not bad, would rather they did away with the bland frozen and re-heat bubble and squeak for an extra sausage, bacon had either been reheated or microwaved cooked as it the white residue on the meat which wasn't great. As my friend said, the only thing that is "ultimate" about this breakfast is the profit margins.

We ordered 3 milkshakes at a pricey £3.70 each although they were good and a glass of apple juice, trouble is they arrived about 5 min after they brought out the food.

They stick about 12% service on top which i thought was a bit cheeky. There are better cafes in the putney area serving breakfast and whilst the lunch food we saw being served out looked quite nice i probably wont be tempted to come back here.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

a very nice place to have your romantic dinner,you don't need to worry what to pick,because anything from the menu is worth to try.
The potato is really good,from chips,fries to marsh.

1  Thank Yufan C